223 Rem Brass Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After running the IVI brass thru my Lyman reamer on prep station for a good 5 minutes per case the primers are fitting.

Attachments

• IMG_1737.jpeg
    IMG_1737.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stuck cases are easily removed by drilling and tapping a 1/4 X 20 thread into what was the primer pocket, then using a long bolt along with an over sized nut with the center hole bigger than the case and the proper sized nut on top of that with a washer. Use a long bolt and it pulls it out every time. Pulled I don't know how many stuck cases from mine and other folks dies with this method.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question 1
Please look at the primer pocket in the brass pictured. I have no issues getting small rifle primers in the Hornady brass (right). But for the IVI brass (left) the small rifle primers won't go in. Looks like the IVI brass has some kind of lining inside the primer pocket. Is the IVI brass trash and not reloadable?

Question 2
As stupid as this looks I got a piece of brass stuck really good in this resizing die. I've tried clamping the die and twisting it out with channel locks and tapping it out but no luck. I think there's a tool for this but sadly I'm don't have it and Cabelas didn't either. Anyone close the north Yukon help me out on this?

Thanks for your help and advice. Most appreciated. Drew
lots of things will work to fix those primer pockets - don't know how you lube your cases before resizing but a good way I found - and always use - is to spray a bit of pam or other non-stick frying spray in a quart freezer bag - add your cases - mix around for a bit and all the cases are coated - I have never had a stuck case using this method and the stuff washes off easily with a bit of dawn and a few shakes in a container - I usually add a touch of lemi-sheen to top off the cleaning process

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question 1
Please look at the primer pocket in the brass pictured. I have no issues getting small rifle primers in the Hornady brass (right). But for the IVI brass (left) the small rifle primers won't go in. Looks like the IVI brass has some kind of lining inside the primer pocket. Is the IVI brass trash and not reloadable?

Question 2
As stupid as this looks I got a piece of brass stuck really good in this resizing die. I've tried clamping the die and twisting it out with channel locks and tapping it out but no luck. I think there's a tool for this but sadly I'm don't have it and Cabelas didn't either. Anyone close the north Yukon help me out on this?

Thanks for your help and advice. Most appreciated. Drew
I made a stuck case puller years ago. Holler if you need help getting the case out.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stuck cases are easily removed by drilling and tapping a 1/4 X 20 thread into what was the primer pocket, then using a long bolt along with an over sized nut with the center hole bigger than the case and the proper sized nut on top of that with a washer. Use a long bolt and it pulls it out every time. Pulled I don't know how many stuck cases from mine and other folks dies with this method.

Thanks for the post on this.
I drilled and tapped the case for 1/4- 20 and inserted some all thread and stacked washers with big holes in them onto the die and then placed a few fender washers over the large hole washers and then a 1/4-20 nut on top of the fender washers and tightened the nut.

Did not work at first so i warmed the die and added candle wax around the stuck case and put grease between 2 fender washers so they would rotate better.
Pulled right out.

Mandrel was then stuck in the neck of the case so worked that over and got it apart.
Die survived as did the mandrel and decapper.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built a.slide hammer. Used 1/4-20 all thread, A wrist pin out of a Detroit s60, A couple
Nuts, and a couple washers. Drill and tap the case to 1/4-20, thread in all thread, and pop
With wrist pin on the end of the all thread, pops them out in one or two pops.

Latest posts

Top Bottom