.25 auto Raven Arms Pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asamcgirl

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a .25 semi-automatic handgun that my mother gave me years ago. It's made by the Raven Arms Company. I think my mom got it back in the early 80's. It was my first handgun and it has extreme sentimental value to me. I don't shoot it much anymore and have upgraded to a 1911. I like this little gun, but don't know much about it. Could anyone tell me about theses guns. I looked on the internet and could find limited information on them.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There is a pretty informative piece on wikipedia about the Raven and it connection to Bryco ,Jennings, and Phoenix arms. In 89-90 they were advertised at $35 or 3/$100 in shotgun news, dealer price. they were made mostly of pot metal, but in spite of this, as biggsly stated, they pretty much went bang. They had, at that time, the distinction, of being number 1, for use in crime. They earned me I'm pretty sure, a visit from the BATF. These little hand guns were I believe were available in black teflon, chrome, and brushed nickle finishes. Besides the obvious, these particular finishes prevented the base metal from "eating its self".

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...he said it went off most of the time.. lol.

THe little raven is worth more to you as sentimental value than real cash value for sure. They were one of the guns during the 80's made in california..often thought of as a saturday night special. cheap to buy, not much to them, but I had a couple and they would fire, but not much else to them. No real reason to clean other than a wipe off, good to Max self defense range. Safety is iffy, but if you don't keep one under the firing pin, you should be ok. Keep it and have fun with it. Much better option than no gun, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raven_Arms_MP-25

Last edited:

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carried by more bangers than most other brands; maybe with the exception of Bryco or Jimenez (highpoint is making a run for it though)

Generally as others have said, it's a cheap, pot metal, in accurately, small caliber, bad triggered little pistol. With that said; as long as they have decent ammo they'll generally go bang when you need it to. They're surprisingly dependable, and "accurate enough" for close in. Really not a bad piece to have stashed in the casa for 'oh crap' senerios.

asamcgirl

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah the safety is broken and actually had an incident when I was a kid where my older brother was playing around with it and it went off with the safety on. Lol he's kind of special. Yeah I pretty much new they weren't worth anything. My dad said everyone pretty much had one in the 80s. Interesting to learn they were used in a lot of crimes. Lol I think I will always keep it but not so sure I was will shoot it or even keep ammo for it. Thank you for all the info on it!

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Treasure it as a sentimental piece from your Mom and your first gun.

They aren't known for their quality however, so if it were me, I'd go with the 1911 when it was needed.

Oh... and welcome to the board.

asamcgirl

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you HMFIC for welcoming to the forum! Lol ammo isn't cheap anymore and hard to find. I haven't shot the gun in about 12 years and keep it stored in my parent's gun safe. When I went over to get my hunting rifle a couple of weeks ago, I got the gun out because I wanted to shoot it, for old times sake. Well I had no ammo for it, and I looked everywhere. I finally found some, but it cost me $20 for 50 rounds and the ammo's made in Brazil. Plus it was the only box the guy carried. That's really what got me wondering about this gun and all .25 auto handguns. I guess there is just not that much demand for them anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom