30 mm vs. 1" scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI

cameralandny has a nice vortex 6.5-20x44 30 mm tube scope on sale for 259.99, this is a nice scope I have 2 from that series and love them. The scope on sale does not have a mil-dot reticle (good or bad depending on use). I'm thinking it would make a great prairie dog scope for less than 300 shipped.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Notice that bolded part. It doesn't say the *amount* of light, but the percentage.

I will say this though, the light concentration is not high enough to demand a larger tube to transmit it. The amount of light going through the scope depends on how much is transmitted by the objective lens.

The same way the tube diameter can.

Whether we disagree or agree, suffice it to say that with optics, like guns, cars, or anything else, it's all a compromise. There's nothing easy that can be done to increase any part of the equation without giving up somewhere else.

Larger tube diameter has its benefits (what they are doesn't matter here), but sacrifices on weight, and the larger lenses required are more expensive. Which is why many cheaper scopes (and some expensive ones) use 1" tubes because they can maintain or improve optical quality.

For any specific scope specs and geometry, there will be specific dimensions ideal for it.

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

But, we are talking about consumer products here - most dimensions are not compromise; they are just matter of perception of convenience of use - aka whatever sells; 50MOA adjustment in 1" tube is sufficient for 308 to have 100 yard zero and adjustment all the way to 1000 yards.

With modern optics, the secondary lenses have to be at least 10% the size of primary - that means on 40mm objective scope a 4mm tube would be sufficient to transmit all the light.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with pretty much everything you said.

But, we are talking about consumer products here - most dimensions are not compromise; they are just matter of perception of convenience of use - aka whatever sells; 50MOA adjustment in 1" tube is sufficient for 308 to have 100 yard zero and adjustment all the way to 1000 yards.

With modern optics, the secondary lenses have to be at least 10% the size of primary - that means on 40mm objective scope a 4mm tube would be sufficient to transmit all the light.

To transmit the light, yes. But that would seriously compromise several other features of a scope.

And yes, "what sells" is a major factor in what costs more. As it is with anything on the market today. A majority of people are interested in "features" over value or quality.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI

cameralandny has a nice vortex 6.5-20x44 30 mm tube scope on sale for 259.99, this is a nice scope I have 2 from that series and love them. The scope on sale does not have a mil-dot reticle (good or bad depending on use). I'm thinking it would make a great prairie dog scope for less than 300 shipped.

Ordered one ... love it. Ordered another one - they are out till end of October! Thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom