30 mm vs. 1" scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Is the big benefit of a 30 mm scope light gathering characteristics? If you have a high quality 1" scope,is it worth it to replace it with a 30 mm,all other things being equal? I'm using it on a long range precision/varmint rifle.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe a 30mm tube gives you greater elevation adjustment over a 1" tube.

Btw, scopes don't gather light. They transmit light which is controlled by the glass and the coatings used on the glass. Take some of your current scopes ouside at night and see how much light they transmit its pretty amazing.

Quick explanation on light transmission here :
http://www.schmidtbender.com/facts_light.shtml

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have scopes with 1 inch tubes and with 30 mm tubes. I have to say the 30 mm ones have me spoiled but I think that more because the reticles and glass is nicer on the 30 mm ones rather than for any extra low light performance. My 458 Lott needed a 30 mm tube scope in order to get a wide enough range of adjustment; I use them on my other rifles just because I like them.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry you don't understand optics.

If you start with a single lens, the larger diameter the lower the magnification and the larger the FOV. To increase magnification you reduce the lens diameter reducing the FOV. To combat this, you can stack lenses to allow you to use larger diameter lenses to keep or increase the FOF while achieving the desired magnification. The down side to this is optical quality degrades when the number of lenses increases. This leads to a need for higher quality glass which can be very expensive.

However, many 30mm scopes out are only thicker tubes with lenses that would fit in a thinner 1" tube.

Latest posts

Top Bottom