30 mm vs. 1" scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry you don't understand optics.

If you start with a single lens, the larger diameter the lower the magnification and the larger the FOV. To increase magnification you reduce the lens diameter reducing the FOV. To combat this, you can stack lenses to allow you to use larger diameter lenses to keep or increase the FOF while achieving the desired magnification. The down side to this is optical quality degrades when the number of lenses increases. This leads to a need for higher quality glass which can be very expensive.

However, many 30mm scopes out are only thicker tubes with lenses that would fit in a thinner 1" tube.

Dude, you are totally confusing curvature and diameter .... hit wikipedia or something first.
To quote Billy Madison:
"Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

FOV is function of eyepiece and eyepiece alone, true FOV is apearant_FOV/magnification. Think of a hole a cardboard - to see more you either need to move the cardboard closer (eye relieve) or make the hole bigger (size of the eye piece): the rest of the scope does magnification, turning the image right side up and placing reticle in focus.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Light gathering is a property of optical lenses. The light gathering is determined by the size of the objective lens. If the transmission qualities of the scope suck, then it doesn't matter how big the objective is.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, you are totally confusing curvature and diameter .... hit wikipedia or something first.
To quote Billy Madison:
"Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

FOV is function of eyepiece and eyepiece alone, true FOV is apearant_FOV/magnification. Think of a hole a cardboard - to see more you either need to move the cardboard closer (eye relieve) or make the hole bigger (size of the eye piece): the rest of the scope does magnification, turning the image right side up and placing reticle in focus.

haha, why don't they use extra small tubes and lenses to save weight then? And extra large eyepieces to increase the FOV? 50mm objective and 100mm eyepiece!
I'm not confusing anything. I don't think you know what you're talking about as usual. Comparing looking through a lens (group of lenses) with looking through a hole in cardboard is hilarious.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dustin: stop editing while I'm trying to reply!!!! SH!!!!T!
If you start with a single lens, the larger diameter the lower the magnification and the larger the FOV.
That's WRONG. Diameter of a lens has nothing to do with magnification. Any 4-year chasing ants knows that.

haha, why don't they use extra small tubes and lenses to save weight then?
Well, in a sense they are. You don't see straight 50mm tubes, do you? Large objective lets more light in, large eyepiece give you more FOV @ certain eye-relieve. All the internal lenses can be very small - much smaller than even 1" tube, and they are basically the same for 30mm and 34mm scopes: size of the tube just gives you more adjustment. <- full stop.

And extra large eyepieces to increase the FOV? 50mm objective and 100mm eyepiece!
Again they do! Look at tactical low magnification scopes - 30mm objective, 50mm eyepiece.

I'm not confusing anything. I don't think you know what you're talking about as usual. Comparing looking through a lens (group of lenses) with looking through a hole in cardboard is hilarious
A-ha - making it personal always makes it better....
If you don't understand a concept of a peeping tom ... nobody can help. Next thing you know - I'm going to be told that the tube is "like water hose and lets more light through" nonsense.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I refuse to be a part of this discussion. Of course, not knowing what ya'll are tallking about makes it an easy decision.

Latest posts

Top Bottom