.300Blkout performance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meat loss is relative to the hunter......I don't consider ribs and a front shoulder meat loss on a whitetail. I've shot many, many 140's out of .280 ' s and 180's out of my 30-378 with no complaints.

Meat loss in the front shoulder or through the vitals doesn't matter to me either as long as the bullet anchors the deer is all that matters.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Meat loss in the front shoulder or through the vitals doesn't matter to me either as long as the bullet anchors the deer is all that matters.

Me too :)

Okie, how far away was that first doe you shot? In your opinion whats the max effective range on this gun?

Both deer killed with mine were at 12y. Dub's were 75 and 100y in his thread IIRC. I don't plan on shooting at a deer at more than 100y. It's true max effective range to take a deer cleanly? I'm not sure.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I read it, it is similar to a 30/30, energy wise. I am sure there are loads of opinions on what the maximum distance is for a 30/30, but probably easier to find data, as it has been around for so long, and killed bazillions of deer.

200 yards? I think that you have 900 to 1000 ft lbs of energy, depending on the bullet weight, load, etc. Let's see if we can find some data!

This is from Nosler:

This is their 125 grain

Yards / Muzzle Velocity(FPS) Energy(FT-LBS) Drop In Inches(100YD) Zero Drop In Inches(200YD) Zero
MUZ:_______________2,250____________1405_______________-1.5_____________________-1.5
100:_______________ 2031_____________1145________________0_______________________3.5
200:_______________1829______________926________________-7________________________0
300:_______________1636______________743________________-24.4___________________-13.9
400:_______________1464______________595________________-54.8___________________-40.9
500:_______________1314______________479________________-101.5__________________-84.1
600:_______________1189______________399________________-168.4_________________-147.5
700:_______________1095______________332________________-259.8_________________-235.4
800:_______________1025______________291________________-380.2_________________-352.4

Just one particular bullet. There are oodles more, all with different numbers. At 200 yards, this one has 926 ft lbs of energy, and a drop of 7". Plenty of energy to still humanely kill a deer, don't you think? I bet that sweet little H&R can take a bit more load too. MAN I want one of those little dudes!!!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Long time 30-30 user here and I can say 250 yards with a 150gr flat point at 2200-2250fps is an easy kill.
My model 94 has taken them at distances longer than that.
No matter the distance 30 yards to 300+ that 30-30 always exited on a rib side shot.
Not much energy left but kills just the same.
For many years I had my 30-30 scope set at 250 yards for zero. Then I got a .308

Looks to me like those 125gr bullets are getting the job done quite well. Probably shoot a lot flatter than that 30-30

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bet that sweet little H&R can take a bit more load too. MAN I want one of those little dudes!!!

I hope it’s all right to post this in the hunting forum. Please move if appropriate.

First, the little H&Rs are definitely sweet.

Caution: I have ZERO experience loading the 300 AAC. But I don’t know if the cartridge case could handle “a bit more load,” because it's so darn short.

In the Fall of 2013, Rifle magazine published an “AR Special Edition” that had an article on loading the 300 Blackout. Brian Pearce wrote that the case capacity is small, and that some max loads from published data wouldn’t work because it would compress the powder charge and actually bulge the case out. His article includes a photo of such a round.

Changing gears a bit:
During the worst of the ammo/component craziness, I read on some forum or other about a 300 Blackout reloader who used lighter bullets designed for the 30-30 Winchester. (I know Sierra shows
a 125 grain FNHP and Speer has a 130 gr FNSP.) I think the person was using the 125 gr Sierra, and seating the bullet out further (not using the “regular” crimping groove on the bullet like you would for a lever action rifle).

If that trick actually works, it really interests me for woods hunting. I hope the plain 30-30 soft point bullets would be cheaper than the premium stuff, and in a single shot rifle, you wouldn’t have to worry about a flat nose bullet cycling through an action.

Again, the previous is just based on what I’ve read and my own speculating.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope it’s all right to post this in the hunting forum. Please move if appropriate.

First, the little H&Rs are definitely sweet.

Caution: I have ZERO experience loading the 300 AAC. But I don’t know if the cartridge case could handle “a bit more load,” because it's so darn short.

In the Fall of 2013, Rifle magazine published an “AR Special Edition” that had an article on loading the 300 Blackout. Brian Pearce wrote that the case capacity is small, and that some max loads from published data wouldn’t work because it would compress the powder charge and actually bulge the case out. His article includes a photo of such a round.

Changing gears a bit:
During the worst of the ammo/component craziness, I read on some forum or other about a 300 Blackout reloader who used lighter bullets designed for the 30-30 Winchester. (I know Sierra shows
a 125 grain FNHP and Speer has a 130 gr FNSP.) I think the person was using the 125 gr Sierra, and seating the bullet out further (not using the “regular” crimping groove on the bullet like you would for a lever action rifle).

If that trick actually works, it really interests me for woods hunting. I hope the plain 30-30 soft point bullets would be cheaper than the premium stuff, and in a single shot rifle, you wouldn’t have to worry about a flat nose bullet cycling through an action.

Again, the previous is just based on what I’ve read and my own speculating.

What about a pistol powder? A little bit of Unique goes a long way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom