357 Magnum Lever action Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've pretty much come to the same conclusion,,,, Handloaded some spire style bullets for the 30-30 years ago... but never was brave to load 5 in the tube... but it worked ok with 2. I cannot cite the source from memory... but someone at least once got a blown up magazine

To get enough inertia to strike a primer you would probably have to strike the gun butt on pavement hard.

With the compounds used for the primer material, if the cup wasn't as hard as it is, just dropping a cartridge on the floor would cause it to fire. I've worked at alot of the military and civilian plants where primer compound is made. By itself, unless wet, a soft breeze could possibly set it off. Before being put into the cup its classed as a 1.1 explosive, an as I said before unless wet is very unstable. It can only be handled wet, and loaded into the cup's wet. Due to the design of the cup it is farely safe to handle. Caution is still needed after loading for shipment. After being loaded into the cartridge case be it factory or handloading, it becomes one unit of ammunition, and even though its still of a sensitive nature, if it was that unsafe, think of every double feed thats happened, there would lots of hurt folks walking around from that(I'm refering to double feeds where the first cartridge doesn't fire, and you perform you immediate action drill, causing another round to be stripped out of the magazine an it slamming into the one still in the breech. The compound most commonly used today is lead tri-nitro-resorcinate instead. Usually referred to as lead styphnate.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Which of the readily available (i.e., NOT special-order) lever-actions in .357 would be the best-made / most reliable? I've had a hankering for such a rifle for years, but know little to nothing about the different makes/models.

They don't make lever-actions in 9mm or .45 ACP, do they? Now that would be something I'd want to snag, having a stock of ammo in those calibers.

Marlin 1894 .44mag/.44spl and Marlin 1894c .357mag/.38spl. These are the tanks by which others are judged. I'm not gonna knock the 1892 by JMB, but the Marlin is a stronger action.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a Marlin 94... it's chambered in 357mag. Ive got good results with commercial soft nosed, jacketed bullets . It feeds 38 special... but it's little finicky about ramping in cartridges that lack a round nosed bullet. In my case.. using the carbine solve a lot of issues... and the Cowboy action guys have figured out how to tune those problems out with simple fixes.

If you shoot alot of 38 specials... you will end up with a carbon ring that needs cleaning if you go back to longer magnum cases.

Marlin ran a short run of Special only carbines for the SASS market...Marlin has a stronger action than the 92 Winchester.... and I never thought much of Winchester 94 long action ....it's a compromise for pistol cartridges and if you got a good one hold on to it. Most have had troubles when used hard.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Rossi for years, it didn't always eject very good. That was shooting either round. I don't care top eject anyways I'm a Marlin fan. It was fun to shoot. Load it up with 38's and it was like shooting a bb gun, I didn't even need hearing protection, but anyone that knows 357mag, that's a different story. 357 magnum has to be one of the loudest rounds ever!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had a Rossi for years, it didn't always eject very good. That was shooting either round. I don't care top eject anyways I'm a Marlin fan. It was fun to shoot. Load it up with 38's and it was like shooting a bb gun, I didn't even need hearing protection, but anyone that knows 357mag, that's a different story. 357 magnum has to be one of the loudest rounds ever!

You need to shoot the .30 Carbine out of a Ruger Blackhawk. Even outdoors you'll need plugs and muff's. If on an indoor range be ready for the small atomic blast at the end of the muzzle, and rocking everyone else's world on the range!!!!

Yes I would love for Marlin to make an 1894 in .30 Carbine!!

Madpap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to shoot the .30 Carbine out of a Ruger Blackhawk. Even outdoors you'll need plugs and muff's. If on an indoor range be ready for the small atomic blast at the end of the muzzle, and rocking everyone else's world on the range!!!!

Yes I would love for Marlin to make an 1894 in .30 Carbine!!
I had a .30 carbine Blackhawk. No fun to shoot, very loud!

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I really enjoy shooting my Winchester Trapper in 44Mag. I have a Williams receiver sight mounted on it which acts like a ghost ring. Very accurate and fun to shoot. Enjoy.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have both .357 mag and .41 mag Marlins. Some of the funnest shooters I have ever had. Williams receiver on the .41m. Pic of it in the photo section.
It is my understanding that even though you may be tempted to reload hotter for the carbine....don't. Accept max revolver loads as max in the carbine too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom