.38 Special Cowboy Load in .357 Brass Question/Concern

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two people selling on this board in the last week. I think one of them still has it.
Guess I missed the postings, and I don’t see anything in my search results. I’ve got a couple of leads on it now though because of this thread. Hopefully I’ll have plenty of it in the near future.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

KG5VW

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Accurate Arms loading guide #1
View attachment 257162

Hodgdon #26

View attachment 257164

There is a data sheet out there that has powders burn rate listed fastest to slowest.

And there is instructions for using that list and the known load data for a substitute powder!

I have it printed out, but its current whereabouts eludes me at this time.
Wife got a Ruger SP101 in 357 Mag and the recoil was too much for her to shoot much so I loaded up some softer lead cowboy rounds at about 900 FPS using Trail Boss and she loved shooting that pretty little Wiley Clapp edition. Nice and easy on the hands. Trail boss is hard to beat and filled the 38 spec cases almost to the top.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting topic and likewise info in this thread as was considering doing same thing for my gdaughter doing CAS.
Meanwhile, she's been using the .38 Special, seating bullets out about as far as they can go. They are the 125/130 grain LRN and so far the Cimarron '73 seems to like them, both for function and accuracy...

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was fire lapping a Ruger 686 ( I will leave this to remind me ) a couple weeks ago I could really down load the load to squeak the bullet down the 7" barrel
if I used pure soft lead.
After a dozen shots and no measurable difference I stepped up to hard wheel weight alloy and that same load that reliable shot the
soft lead load now stuck the bullet just past the forcing cone.
If you are trying to get the lightest load I would do it with pure soft lead and powder coat it.

Another benefit to that soft lead is driving them back out of the barrel with a wooden dowel rod is much easier to do than
wheel weight lead.

My 11.5gr Red Dot in 30-06 sends a gas checked Alox lubed 170 gr Lee bullet at 1400fps.
Jacketed bullets like a Hornady 3031 or a 155 A max are 100 fps slower.
Just a tidbit of information for lead vs jacketed with the same load.

Last edited:

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when there is too much space in a case due to light load,, try using a cutup cotton ball to keep the powder at the bottom ,near the primer..

Latest posts

Top Bottom