.380 to small?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is however an energy difference.

No doubt! That's why I said that 9mm is much better and logical choice, since the firearm factor is the same but the energy delivery is more than doubled! While we can argue till we are blue what's a better way to deliver 500-600ft/lb (9mm vs 45), 380 is just not in the same class. If recoil was that big of an issue, I'd go with 22WMR over 380 hands down.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No doubt! That's why I said that 9mm is much better and logical choice, since the firearm factor is the same but the energy delivery is more than doubled! While we can argue till we are blue what's a better way to deliver 500-600ft/lb (9mm vs 45), 380 is just not in the same class. If recoil was that big of an issue, I'd go with 22WMR over 380 hands down.

Right, I wasn't referring to .380 vs 9mm as I think that's pretty well been covered. Dunno how many 9mm loads hit 550-600ftlbs of energy but you WILL see a difference in wound channels and how energy is translated to tissue.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The little mouse gun has it's place.
I carry one on occasion, usually when I don't really need to carry.
But it's not my primary CCW, I have a couple Kahrs for that (CW45 & CW9).

If that is what she's comfortable with, go for it.
Most will agree the 380 is at the bottom of the performance list for CCW.
But the greaveyards are full of dead people who opposed this round and weaker ones.
I suspect if you are a good husband who will take her to the range regularly she'll eventually migrate to something more appropriate.

Best bet is her getting lots of trigger time until she get "Proficient" with it and then regular sessions to stay comfortable.

My wife wouldn't shot much anything larger than a 22lr at first.
Now she packs a smith in 32 H&R Mag and will shoot 38 spl.
I'm encouraging her to try the 327 Mag.

Upside is it's an opportunity to spend time with your wife doing something you enjoy.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For home defense I would recommend a full size service pistol in .45 ACP. For CCW, thats when you want to start looking at smaller calibers and more compact guns.

There is no reason to handicap yourself if you don't have to.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Some experts will say it's barely adequate, and others will say it's barely inadequate". Quote from gun author Massad Ayoob on the 380.

I like my LCP for CCW.

For home protection my choice is: shotgun, then 45, 38 special or 9mm. That's my 2 cents.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Handguns...a study in compromise. I have a few; and outside the lowly .22lr, I carry what I like, and without further regard to caliber, feel as adequately armed as I can be since the LEO's (and business owners) get all nervous acting and ask ya questions and stuff if you walk into their store or place of business with a rifle or a shotgun. Sometimes I just carry a lil bitty pistola in my pocket and sometimes I carry a big, heavy, all-steel-manly-man gun on a thick-azz heavy-duty leather belt in an expensive custom holster.

I am not so concerned about the size of the round (or the ft/lbs) coming out of the bullet-hole end of the .380 LCP as I am about the fact that I can't shoot the little thing worth a darn.

F

Follow Me

I am going with a 12 GA pump for my wife. For the simple reason "everyone has a plan until the front door gets kicked in." As in the previous post, "point and aim." The sound alone from cycling the weapon is enough to make most turn the other direction.

Latest posts

Top Bottom