.40 s&w in a rifle for deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed, but what's the deal with the regulations for rifle calibers? I can legally hunt deer with my glock .40, but not a Beretta cx4 storm in the same caliber? Don't get the logic in this one.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah there are some strange laws...

I've shot a few deer with a 357 lever action in the past. Dead in less than 25yrds.

Why only 7rds if you're shooting a .22 cal rifle (read AR) but you can have a drum mag with an AK or converted SKS?? whats that about?

Legal Means of Taking

Rifles: Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles are not legal). Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven rounds of ammunition.
Muzzleloaders: Equipment described as legal for deer muzzleloader season and blackpowder firearms loaded from the breech are legal.
Shotguns: 20 gauge or larger, firing a single rifled slug are legal.
Centerfire handguns: Chambered for .24 caliber or larger and 100 grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer are legal (.357 or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four inches.
Semi-automatic handguns: Chambered for any centerfire ammunition with a 100-grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet and having a cartridge case size of .40 caliber or larger (includes 10 mm, .357 Sig., and 40 cal. or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four inches.
Handguns chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition: Chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition using at least a 55-grain soft-nosed bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer and a minimum barrel length of four inches.
Archery: Equipment described as legal for deer archery season.
Illegal devices: Fully automatic firearms, supressors (silencers), laser sights and light enhancement devices (night scopes) are illegal. Beginning Nov. 1, 2012, landowners hunting on their own property and guests of those landowners will be permitted to use suppressors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom