.40 S&w "+p"???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+p ammunition is just made (supposedly) at or near the max load for a particular round. nothing more, nothing less. btw, in two of 3 manuals I have, the 9mm and .40 average c.u.p. is the same. again depends on the powder used. neither one is gonna blow up in an unsupported chamber.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what I am trying to say is that the ballistics are grossly different from a .40 and a 10mm. One poster above said that if you wanted a +P .40 then just get a 10mm. Not the same animal at all. Furthermore, several people mentioned shooting rounds that are on the high side of loading guide lines in an unsupported barrel like a glock is unsafe. How many glock .40's have sold in the world vs. how many kabooms have happened because of the unsupported barrel. Does anyone actually think that factory ammo is anywhere close to as hot as it can be and still be safe? That is what I am saying.. Thanks for asking.

Hey, thanks for being such a courteous poster. /sarc off

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
maybe it is the heat, or maybe all the people who get on the band wagon spreading poor info. If I came off as a prick it wasn't intended. No sarcasm needed :-)
I took your question to mean something it did not. my mistake.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
maybe it is the heat, or maybe all the people who get on the band wagon spreading poor info. If I came off as a prick it wasn't intended. No sarcasm needed :-)
I took your question to mean something it did not. my mistake.

Eh, no worries. Here's a serious question for you.

I got to looking into the 10mm specs a little bit. I know SAAMI pressures do not exactly equal muzzle velocities or energy, but it does appear that even a 40 overloaded by 10%, although it would have a higher SAAMI pressure, still probably wouldn't have the punch of a 10mm. Is it the extra case length allows more powder, but less pressure since it's not packed or compressed loaded? Bottom line: the 10mm can be a beast if loaded properly.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not an expert but I think you are onto it. similar to the diff between .38 and .357 mag case and cartridge. I have not put a caliper to the 10mm case but I think they are a bit sturdier for the excessive pressures. that is a heck of a round going 1500fps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom