40 S&W v. 357 Sig v. 9mm v. 380 for CC gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hullxsm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love some guidance on which caliber is more effective for a CC gun. My current gun is a 380 but have increased my skills and would like to move to a 40 or 357 Sig. I have the model picked out but wondered if there is any stats or personal experiences comparing the above. The gun can be either 40 or 357 Sig. I have shot quite a bit of 40 S&W, 9mm and 380 but not any 357 Sig. Price is a consideration but I may get into reloading which would lower the ammo cost in the long run.

Not a lot of detail in my post hoping to get a wide variety of responses.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The answer isnt so black and white.

When you start talking about which round is better for C&C, there are pros and cons to each.

Some rounds will allow for a higher capacity, while other rounds offer more of the hyped "stopping power." I say hyped, because in reality, any well placed round of any of the calibers you listed has "stopping power."

In the end, its a matter of which round you can handle the best and ultimately shoot the most consistent.

Personally, I carry a .40s&w. But again, its something I feel comfortable with. In my search for my current CCW, I tried the same gun in all of what I consider "carry calibers." I was able to shoot the .40 just as well as any of the others and decided to go with it.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.380 only if you need a really small gun. It's expensive, and while most would agree that it's better than nothing, it still isn't a good penetrator. I've heard tell that there is only one brand of .380 JHP that passes the FBI's penetration requirements, but I don't recall what it is. And honestly I have nothing but an offhand comment to back it up with.

9mm if you need a relatively small gun or one with high capacity. You'll hear detractors but the fact is this can be a great man stopper with the right load and placement.

.40 S&W if you want more power than the 9mm but still need relative capacity. This is what I carry. It's also what many LEOs carry.

357 Sig if you can afford the ammo and are comfortable with your shot placements, because this stuff sizzles and might over-penetrate. You could buy a gun in .40 and probably be able to find a 357 Sig conversion kit. I know that my HK can shoot both if I get the proper barrel.

Just my opinions based on personal research.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While ture a well placed round will take down most BG's. Listen I see a weapon involved we'll all be diving and running for cover it might be very hard to crave the heart out of the BG. That's why I perfer a bigger round that does some damage. I carry a .380 sometimes and as a BG gun sometimes but I'm under no illisulion that these guns are only for close quarters, they aren't target guns and you more than likely will be close enough you may have to defend yourself esp as A CCW holder where you just can't whip it out. I'd be nice if the BG made his play a block away but that's not what I train to denfed.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9mm - it's the cheapest to practice with ... practice always wins.

A lot of logic to this statement.
If you can't afford to practice you're stacking the deck against yourself.
Just something to consider.

I carry a .380 sometimes.....only for close quarters, they aren't target guns and you more than likely will be close enough

This is the biggest thing going for the little pocket guns.
Counting on close encounters. I perfer a revolver myself.
But on occasion will carry the little mouse gun. It's certainly capable.
Often when carrying it I forget it's there.

Woodcutter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the suggestions given above are good. You did not say which brand and model pistol you have picked out, but if it is a popular brand such as a Glock that has lots of factory and aftermarket parts, then you can get the Glock 32 in 357 SIG, then get factory or aftermarket barrel in 40, and you can even get an aftermarket barrel such as the Lone Wolf that converts the G-32 to 9mm so you can have cheap practice. That means you could have all three calibers for a little over the price of one. You would not have to decide which caliber you like best until you have owned it for a while and shot it a lot. Note that the 9mm barrel to convert a 40 or 357 is not the same as the barrel for the G-19 and Lone Wolf does not recommend using this conversion barrel for carry due to the possibility of reduced reliability (Although many people have reported no reliability issues with this conversion).

Latest posts

Top Bottom