.40 S&W reloads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reloading the 40 s&w is why I like it better than 9mm.
The cases and projectiles are bigger and easier to handle than the nine.
I can use a 155-165 coated lswc bullet, scoot them out at 800-1000fps and you arguably have a potentially more lethal pistol cartridge than say a 115gr fmj 9mm with your practice-plinking cartridge which could be handy some day.
Like the nine maybe more so the brass can be gotten for free.
I use 231, hp38, hs6 and clays.

Another thing MW mentioned was shooting 40 out of the Glock 22.
A great thing to note about this is that the g22 and the m&p pistols have such an excellent feed design that that the sky is the limit on bullet choice. I’ve yet to find anything they won’t feed in reloaded 40s&w ammunition.
The 40 isn’t perfect and there are reasons we ran towards it and then away from it just as fast..
But if you’re a reloader you can get a soft minor load or a strong “hunting” load if needed.
Exactly why I went 40 S&W back in the day. First 40 was a G22. I remember when the S&W sigma came out and Academy had thier first sale on them. They had 50 bucks off and 2 extra mags rebate. IIRC the final price was 275 bucks. It ran everything from various HP/FMJ/Lead factory or reloads. So good ive acquired 2 of later version with a little better trigger. All 3 shoot everything ive ran through. Great gun if you can deal with the trigger.

Broncos

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reloading the 40 s&w is why I like it better than 9mm.
The cases and projectiles are bigger and easier to handle than the nine.
I can use a 155-165 coated lswc bullet, scoot them out at 800-1000fps and you arguably have a potentially more lethal pistol cartridge than say a 115gr fmj 9mm with your practice-plinking cartridge which could be handy some day.
Like the nine maybe more so the brass can be gotten for free.
I use 231, hp38, hs6 and clays.
Accurate #2 works well also

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You won’t be disappointed with W231. Blue dot is another one I like. Unique is great if you’re shooting cast bullets.
Just make sure your sizing die gets set up right.They make ammo checkers really cheap that make for a good quality control check. Only trust published data and your own results. Have fun and shoot more!!!

Jim Draper

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to reload some .40 S&W for my Glock 22 I will be using 165 gr. FMJ and not sure what power works best. I would like to use WIN 231, HP38 or WSP any sugestions for a good starting load, and Max load. I will be using them for plinking, and IDPA style shooting. Any help?? Thanks.
I myself like the HP38 but of course, that's if I can get it. It is consistent with your shot grouping but is good for just plinking also.

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always stay toward the min loads. Glocks have a sloppy chamber and brass. After you resize your brass you will see. I bought a lee bulge remover die. I also bought an aftermarket barrel. It functions well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shot major in .40 with 180's using WST powder in USPSA Comps. Don't remember the charge and I'm away from my data. I'd rather shoot it than 9mm just because I can.

Latest posts

Top Bottom