410 ammo, what would you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been shooting 410 shells in my governor every summer for almost 6 years and never had any problems. I think it’s the low brass.
I would bet its the ammo. That expansion near the rim doesn't look good. I wouldn't shoot anymore of it. Some of the reviews I read said shoot 410 shotshells designed for revolvers. Never heard of 410 shotshell designed for revolvers before. I would go back to a previous shell that shot OK.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Internet shows lots of reviews and problems with locking up with some ammo in the governor on internet.
I agree that it’s the brand of ammo. Started digging around this morning and found some of what I have been shooting in the past. Haven’t been able to find any 410 ammo lately so thought I might try this brand. Shouldn’t have bought so many, I’ll try it in the shotgun later and see what happens. Might stick my arm out around the corner of the barn just in case,LOL. Every thing in the past has been high brass. Thanks for the info from all involved. I’ll post something later about how it went with the shotgun, if I survive.

Attachments

• IMG_5336.jpeg
    IMG_5336.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I’m not injured or missing any limbs. Fired 3 rounds in the shotgun, all went well. There appears to be some slight bulging around the base of the cases. If you look closely at the case on the left the brass appears to be slightly shorter than the others. The case on the right is the same one that was originally shot in the Governor.

Attachments

• IMG_5337.jpeg
    IMG_5337.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
410 is my preferred gun for hunting ducks. Haven't done any duck hunting for a few years but I've shot my gun a lot. I've put every 410 round you could imagine. Anything rolling around in a drawer. Never had that issue.
Has the shotgun had any issues? Did the round fully seat?
Just found the post so please post what you found out.
I think I have an odd box or a few rounds of this somewhere. I'm feeling better today and I might just so fire off a couple and look at the fired brass. I've never even look at them because I never reloaded 410.
Have you inspected your breech?
Thanks for sharing it.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
410 is my preferred gun for hunting ducks. Haven't done any duck hunting for a few years but I've shot my gun a lot. I've put every 410 round you could imagine. Anything rolling around in a drawer. Never had that issue.
Has the shotgun had any issues? Did the round fully seat?
Just found the post so please post what you found out.
I think I have an odd box or a few rounds of this somewhere. I'm feeling better today and I might just so fire off a couple and look at the fired brass. I've never even look at them because I never reloaded 410.
Have you inspected your breech?
Thanks for sharing it.
The problem was with a S&W governor. I believe the consensus is too much space between the cylinder and frame of the pistol plus I believe the shells have thinner brass (not really brass) bases and can’t withstand the pressure in a revolver.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a side note:

With the shortage of .410 shells. If you reload (or even if you dont) .444 Marlin rifle brass can loaded using .410 data.

LRP, 4100 or 2400 powder, AA wad, topped with a .410 shot card or hole punch card stock with a 7/16 punch. Seal with a dab of hot glue or Elmer's.

No reloader or dies needed.

I picked up 250 rounds of brass. Should last me a long, long time. "Equivalent of 8-10 cases of shells"

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a side note:

With the shortage of .410 shells. If you reload (or even if you dont) .444 Marlin rifle brass can loaded using .410 data.

LRP, 4100 or 2400 powder, AA wad, topped with a .410 shot card or hole punch card stock with a 7/16 punch. Seal with a dab of hot glue or Elmer's.

No reloader or dies needed.

I picked up 250 rounds of brass. Should last me a long, long time. "Equivalent of 8-10 cases of shells"
Thanks for the advice. I have 20 444 marlin cases I’ll try in the future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom