.45 ACP vs .45 AUTO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I can tell, it looks like the .45 ACP/Auto and the .45 Super are the same. Is it? What is the difference with these?

It also looks like the .450 SMC is the same except for the primer size. What are the differences here?

I have never heard of the .45 HP, .45 Super, .450 SMC, or the .460 Rowlnd. Are these "dead" cartridges or are they cartridges that are used by some other nations and just not used here in the States?

Koolhandlinc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Notice in the picture the 3rd from left is 45auto and the following statement that 45 acp is 45automatic colt pistol. Thus the 45 auto and acp being interchangeable and so the 3rd from left is 45acp.

45 super is not the same and has higher pressure. That equals not good for standard 45acp and should not be used in a 1911 style pistol due to the unsupported area in the chamber.

Wikipedia tells about most every round you can think of if you google them. Reading about the 45 super seems to be basically a +P+ type round. 1300 fps or so.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody else find it irritating that some firearms manufacturers add to the confusion by what I see as refusing to put another makers name on their product? For example, Glock stamps .45 Auto on what should be .45 ACP and .357 Auto on what is actually .357 SIG. We have enough different chamberings and designations without calling them by two different names so they can avoid giving credit to the round's originator.

I field questions every day from friends and coworkers that have the same issue as Bassbuster.

Latest posts

Top Bottom