45th Infantry Museum, OKC- outside tour

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lived here my whole life half hour away and never been to that War Museum. Nor the Capital, Remington Park or any Museum in the metropolitan area. In school just ditched on field trip days.

Looks cool though.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a war museum junkie. It is good for sure, but it isn't world class.

If you ever get a chance go to

National WWI Museum- Kansas City
National WWII Museum- New Orleans
Air Force Museum- Dayton, OH
Armor Museum- Ft Knox (now closed and the Ft Benning one isn't open to the public yet)
RAF Museum- London
Hotel Invalides- Paris

There are others, but those are the ones I've been to. They are world class.

Bovington
Samur
Toledo
are on my short list
I would add the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg TX to this list. Allow at least 2 hours or more for the inside tour of the main museum. It is posted per TX law concerning carry, both 30.06 & 30.07. Veteran discount on admission.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would add the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg TX to this list. Allow at least 2 hours or more for the inside tour of the main museum. It is posted per TX law concerning carry, both 30.06 & 30.07. Veteran discount on admission.

On my list. I just haven't made it down there yet.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know how hard it would be to get to it now, but the Fort Sill artillery museum is pretty neat as well. It used to be that one could exit at one of the fort's gates and be right there at the museum. Now, my understanding is that the gate near it is now closed and one has to access the base elsewhere.

Fort Sill Artillery Museum Pictures

They even have an Atomic Annie piece. It require a tractor at each end of the carriage to move her around.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 45th infantry museum is a gem. I go a couple times a year. Admission is free but I dropped a $100 bill in the donation box last time I was there. They have a lot of Hitlers personal belongings too.

JokerofDeath

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 45th Infantry Museum is definitely one of those rare gem spots for OKC. If you ever make your way towards Georgia, Ft Benning now holds the Armor Museum (formerly Ft Knox). They have some truly amazing machines like captured King Tiger and the U.S. super tank that I couldn’t imagine running up against back in WWII.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know how hard it would be to get to it now, but the Fort Sill artillery museum is pretty neat as well. It used to be that one could exit at one of the fort's gates and be right there at the museum. Now, my understanding is that the gate near it is now closed and one has to access the base elsewhere.

Fort Sill Artillery Museum Pictures

They even have an Atomic Annie piece. It require a tractor at each end of the carriage to move her around.

There is a Pershing 2 nucleur missile there as well. and Some german and other pieces. The inside museum is excellent also

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been a while since visiting either Ft. Sill or 45th but both were exceptional. My FIL (an old cannon cocker on an 8", both towed and self-propelled) was stationed there before leaving for Korea in early 50's.
IMO, Ft. Sill has more Indian related items, ie; Geronimo's Trap Door Springfield and Colt .45, etc.
The old stockade basement where he was held plus some original barracks that now house museum items, along with a fairly new building were all accessible.
I've heard Key gate off I-44 service road is closed to visitors and now must access thru Main gate on Ft. Sill Blvd. Regardless, it's worth the effort to see. Lotsa ordnance (both ours & foreign) sitting around on cannoneer's walk. But after all, it is an artillery post...

Latest posts

Top Bottom