.500 s&w...whos got one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
saw gunny shoot one of these the other night on tv. shock wave made the skin on his arm roll. Damn! saw others shooting them on youtube and they were about knocking themselves out. Guess they are brutal. everytime I see a handi-rifle for sale in this caliber it has a 17rd box of ammo for sale with it. 3 rds all you can take?

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one They aren't bad. The muzzle brake is very effective. That and the 8 3/8" is nice at dampening the felt recoil. They are also very accurate.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Three was one more than I could take with the NEF handi-rifle. First time I thought I must not have been holding it right. Second--last--time, I had a death grip on it and it still hurt--bad. This chambering in a light single shot is an answer without a question.

Happily I am not the owner of that gun. Got nothing against the cartridge in a proper gun, and for big upset brown bears it would be nice If one didn't have a 106 recoilless rifle handy (always my gun of choice for anything that knows I'm not the top of the foodchain).

I have seen, on this forum's classifieds, two NEF/500 Smith guns with 18 rounds for sale--been two or three years ago. Had the same thought as you.

I have some big, hard kicking rifles, but nothing like the little NEF. It's worse than my Mosin Nagant 44 carbine with full house battle rounds, and that's not pleasant. All these are worse than my .338 Win Mag, and it's not a soft shooter either. The surprise is the .375 H&H. A pussycat. CB

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Three was one more than I could take with the NEF handi-rifle. First time I thought I must not have been holding it right. Second--last--time, I had a death grip on it and it still hurt--bad. This chambering in a light single shot is an answer without a question.

Happily I am not the owner of that gun. Got nothing against the cartridge in a proper gun, and for big upset brown bears it would be nice If one didn't have a 106 recoilless rifle handy (always my gun of choice for anything that knows I'm not the top of the foodchain).

I have seen, on this forum's classifieds, two NEF/500 Smith guns with 18 rounds for sale--been two or three years ago. Had the same thought as you.

I have some big, hard kicking rifles, but nothing like the little NEF. It's worse than my Mosin Nagant 44 carbine with full house battle rounds, and that's not pleasant. All these are worse than my .338 Win Mag, and it's not a soft shooter either. The surprise is the .375 H&H. A pussycat. CB

I've got a .500 Handi also. This is not fun to shoot! kind of wierd, but the pistol is no problem.

vette447

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not have one but I have a friend in CO that has one. He took an elk with it at 200 yards a few years ago. They are very accurate. I decided to go with the .460 S&W due to its flat ballistics. Haven't had much trigger time on mine but it is not bad to shoot. Make a hell of a lot of noise though.

1911 MQB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot one but, I decided to buy the .460. The recoil is about the same. The .460 seemed like a better choice....it shoots flatter, higher velocity, and it also shoots 454 casull and 45 colt ...... if you want less recoil and cheaper ammo. My wife likes to shoot mine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom