500yds at the backyard range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only way I know if I hit something that far is if it is tannerite lol
I tried and experiment about 20 years ago that I still like to use better than anything else for shooting long range shooting when it's too far away to hear the hit, you take a sheet of sheetrock and cut it up into squares about the size of your steels (or smaller if that's your target size) and tape it on, makes a nice big puff of white smoke you can see for a long ways away, also lets you know what way the wind is blowing out there but REMEMBER, you need the steel plate behind, hanging a plane piece of sheetrock up won't do it. I usually have about 20 "steels" I keep on hand just for this, when a couple get too "raggedy" I make a few more.

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried and experiment about 20 years ago that I still like to use better than anything else for shooting long range shooting when it's too far away to hear the hit, you take a sheet of sheetrock and cut it up into squares about the size of your steels (or smaller if that's your target size) and tape it on, makes a nice big puff of white smoke you can see for a long ways away, also lets you know what way the wind is blowing out there but REMEMBER, you need the steel plate behind, hanging a plane piece of sheetrock up won't do it. I usually have about 20 "steels" I keep on hand just for this, when a couple get too "raggedy" I make a few more.
I like that!

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is how mine swing, like I was referring to on 1/2 chains. First photo shows a repair link. I really enjoy hitting steel! The Sheetrock suggestion above works great too!

BCE47686-742E-47FD-B170-A3F9F6B81A84.jpeg
246CC7E1-546C-4392-8787-7D8729CDD458.jpeg
2AE1CABE-E77F-49C2-AF97-DE280A4E09DF.jpeg
6FEEFCE5-5CE6-479B-9BA8-9EE16EE1B1D1.jpeg

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's also handy when you have some welders and pattern torch operators for buddies. A case of beer can usually get me 20 new plates made.

All of mine are AR550. I have a three that are AR500. The Sheetrock idea is an awesome idea. Especially if you have a guy that says he hit and no one heard it ring! The Sheetrock is a lie detector test 100%!!

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of mine are AR550. I have a three that are AR500. The Sheetrock idea is an awesome idea. Especially if you have a guy that says he hit and no one heard it ring! The Sheetrock is a lie detector test 100%!!
Yes, the only drawback is once you hit it you have to go down and put a new piece on, so you get exercise as well as accuracy tests, anything over 100 yards I use my quad. Last year I bought one of those remote long range camera systems that send target images back to your computer/I-pad/phone but didn't get the time to test it out, maybe this year I will.

Latest posts

Top Bottom