6.5x47 Lapua

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
6" gong 9/10 times at 600 is not even MOA shooting.

6" @ 600yds is MOA...lol

6.5x47 is a damn fine round for distance. Jon Beanland (Beanland Custom Rifles) shoots it in his comp rifle and podiums a lot of matches... But he's also one heck of a shooter. You should have him quote you one. If you want to step up to a 6.5x284 lapua, it'll turn a prairie dog into pink mist at a half mile.

And be sure to save some money for optics.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why don't you provide actual information instead of just grilling him?

Why it that anyones business? I didn't ask the question about me. I was looking for the good and or bad about the 6.5x47 Lapua and a bunch of people seem to be trying to hijack the thread... If you have nothing constructive to say I understand. I am just looking for thing that I haven't looked at or thought about before I sink a bunch of money it this build.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
6" @ 600yds is MOA...lol

6.5x47 is a damn fine round for distance. Jon Beanland (Beanland Custom Rifles) shoots it in his comp rifle and podiums a lot of matches... But he's also one heck of a shooter. You should have him quote you one. If you want to step up to a 6.5x284 lapua, it'll turn a prairie dog into pink mist at a half mile.

And be sure to save some money for optics.

Good feed back! I have considered the 6.5x284 and several Mfg's have them in current production. I have a 6.5x55 and a 257 Roberts but that still maybe an option.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why it that anyones business? I didn't ask the question about me. I was looking for the good and or bad about the 6.5x47 Lapua and a bunch of people seem to be trying to hijack the thread... If you have nothing constructive to say I understand. I am just looking for thing that I haven't looked at or thought about before I sink a bunch of money it this build.

Sorry! I miss read the post...

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
6.5x47 is mathematically perfect cartridge. In mid range the only thing that is even in the same ballpark is 6mmBR. If you are punching something other than paper - 6.5x47 brings a whole bunch more punch at very little recoil expense.

As far as building it on 700 ...

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For my money I went with a 260 Remington. I am getting 2900-2950 FPS out of a 25" barrel. That is 6.5x284 velocities in a short action magazine fed rifle. Admittedly, this barrel is still new in my book, and I do not know how long it will last at this speed.

Now that Lapua is making 260 brass, I don't believe I would ever consider the 6.5x47 anymore. The cartridge does not have the boiler room of the 260. Accuracy is .5moa or better (5 rounds) off of a bipod depending on how well one can shoot. Another real advantage, at least for me, is if they stop making either cartridge I can form 260 from 243 or the popular 308.

Unless you already have a Remington action, I would consider a custom action before building on a Remington. For a few dollars more you are getting an action that was manufactured true, instead of spending money to make the action true. Look at Surgeon or Defiance Machine.

http://defiancemachine.com/rebel-action/

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/

Latest posts

Top Bottom