68 gr Hrndy BTHPM in 1 / 12 Shilen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tparring

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a rem 700 with a 1 in 12 twist rate. Trying to find out if it will stabilize a 68 grain bullet. According to the Shilen site, it will be a little too heavy. Thought I would check and see if anyone has tried it and how it worked out.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity for my AR since were on the subject. My barrel has a 1-9 twist...... Seems like the PRVI 62gr's really seem to group nicely just under an inch or so at 100yds only thing is i hate having to order ammo and wait a few days in case i get the itch to go shoot. But would this twist rate work for something heavier like a 75-78gr. I go hog hunting every now and then and would like the extra weight but wasnt sure about it and being that most loads in that range are $25 and up i dont like the idea of going to the range and just running through it. I have read its kinda hit and miss with 1-9's but like i said anyone with expericence would be helpful. only place i found local with anything above 55gr loads was dongs and they had fed gold match 78 grainers for $33 per 20 which seemed kinda high but i havent looked around a whole lot for picing.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity for my AR since were on the subject. My barrel has a 1-9 twist...... Seems like the PRVI 62gr's really seem to group nicely just under an inch or so at 100yds only thing is i hate having to order ammo and wait a few days in case i get the itch to go shoot. But would this twist rate work for something heavier like a 75-78gr. I go hog hunting every now and then and would like the extra weight but wasnt sure about it and being that most loads in that range are $25 and up i dont like the idea of going to the range and just running through it. I have read its kinda hit and miss with 1-9's but like i said anyone with expericence would be helpful. only place i found local with anything above 55gr loads was dongs and they had fed gold match 78 grainers for $33 per 20 which seemed kinda high but i havent looked around a whole lot for picing.

Only way to know for 1-9 and 75's is to try. Some will, some won't.

Latest posts

Top Bottom