7.62 x 39mm`

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is a good brand for just practice shooting? I use them in a Maadi MSIR Ak-47

AKs are designed to be reliable and throw lead down range, so for plinking just find the cheapest ammo possible. Not sure what online prices are but probably the cheapest stuff you'll find around the city is Monarch at Academy.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of that ammo is for killing, plinking. Any of the surplus or store bought is good to go. Only thing I wouldn't buy is the reloadabile, as it is just too darn expensive and for what.

The yugo is the best value, but is corrosive so clean accordingly. Wish I had mega cases of it.

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on Yugo surplus ammo. It is GREAT stuff. Don't let the fact that it is corrosive scare you at all. I have a few thousand rounds thru my SKS and AK's. Never an issue. Just run hot, soapy water down the gas tube and barrel when you get home from shooting. I take a funnel and use the bathroom shower personally. Let it dry, then clean normally as you would any other gun. If I dont have time clean the gun for a couple of days after I shoot, I squirt windex down the tube, and barrel right after I shoot to rinse out the corrosive salts. You still need to "shower" the guns when you finally clean them though.

Aim surplus has the best deal on this stuff right now. 1120 rounds/$182. Stock up!

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...n+7.62x39+on+SKS+Chargers+40rd+box&groupid=39

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
centerfire sent out an email yesterday for their russian ammo $199, no shipping for 1000 rds. Probably the best I have seen for non-corrosive.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my above post is probably the best non-corrosive going, but SOG again has the yugo for $197 for 1260rds. I just emailed them to see how much shipping would be for a full case.

voodoobass

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got a sks and was wondering where the best place was to pick up ammo for it. Are there any "deals" to be had locally? I prefer buying local if it's affordable. Academy only had Remington for $14.96 a box. As the man said,.."thats too damn high!"

Latest posts

Top Bottom