90s Winchester 94 30-30 lever with catastrophic damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stick enjoyer

Marksman
Reaction score
Is this kind of damage repairable? What would you do with it if not?

I know they aren't the most desirable of Winchester lever guns, but it was a family rifle and I just want to see if it can be helped.
I don't know what caused the damage, I just inherited it like this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20241013_211636~2.jpg
    20241013_211636~2.jpg
    493.9 KB
  • 20241013_211820.jpg
    20241013_211820.jpg
    303.6 KB

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is this kind of damage repairable? What would you do with it if not?

I know they aren't the most desirable of Winchester lever guns, but it was a family rifle and I just want to see if it can be helped.
I don't know what caused the damage, I just inherited it like this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
It looks like the barrel and the receiver will need to be replaced because they are both damaged.

If a real gunsmith agrees, then I would use this as a parts gun.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

stick enjoyer

Marksman
Reaction score
If there's that kind of damage to the bolt, the repairs would far exceed the value of your rifle. Drive a couple nails in the wall and put it to rest. Is there anything in the barrel?

It's clear, somehow the bullet made it out despite all that mess happening. That might be the way to go, plug it, hang it, toast it's sacrifice every other Thanksgiving

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's clear, somehow the bullet made it out despite all that mess happening. That might be the way to go, plug it, hang it, toast it's sacrifice every other Thanksgiving
I was wondering if there was an obstruction in the barrel, and someone squeezed one off and blew the action open. Does the action work at all? By the way, I'm no gunsmith; I'm just curious.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was an obstruction in the barrel, and someone squeezed one off and blew the action open. Does the action work at all? By the way, I'm no gunsmith; I'm just curious.
Stuck firing pin when loading a new round among lots of other possibilities.

Hooper

Marksman
Reaction score
Looks like there may have been a bad spot in the barrel, a flaw from factory, You might send a picture to Winchester and ask them, Once in a while they fix stuff if it has been a manufacturer flaw.

Can't tell from pic, but a new barrel might fix the problem, Finding a Gunsmith will be the deal there. Some welding may need to be done on the receiver with some finish work. Looks like it could possibly be fixed, cost now that may be the factor.

Also if it fired out of battery to cause that damage that might be considered a Manufacture Malfunction.

I would check with Winchester first.

Hope it works out for you. Lever guns are pretty special in many ways, especially if it has been passed thru generations of family or friends.

Latest posts

Top Bottom