'98 Crown Vic, rat chewed wires - the saga...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a big bag of Ramik from Atwoods and spread it around my sister in-laws house.
she said the area stank for a while, but she hasn't seen anymore rats around.
Put out a second dose last friday and she said its beginning to stink again.LOL!

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tomcat bait bars work well. The mice and rats will leave in search of a water source after consuming a few bites because their insides fell like a limestone rock being dropped into a crusher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well... it seems y'all missed out on a deal. :D

The rat damage wasn't near extensive as I thought, and was restricted to the AC/heater wiring only. Turns out a rat can fuzz up the copper wires and make one wire (with a 10-12 inch area missing insulation) look more/less like a dozen.

I've repaired the wires (soldered in new wiring, heat-shrinked all splices, and added a safety layer of electrical tape over that), then put a new 3/4 inch split wire loom over all the repairs. Looks pretty much factory again.

And... everything seems to work great. AC is still cold, fan motor does all speeds, no engine/error lights etc. etc.

Looks like the Ford is gonna be here a while.
:drunk2:

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well... it seems y'all missed out on a deal. :D

The rat damage wasn't near extensive as I thought, and was restricted to the AC/heater wiring only. Turns out a rat can fuzz up the copper wires and make one wire (with a 10-12 inch area missing insulation) look more/less like a dozen.

I've repaired the wires (soldered in new wiring, heat-shrinked all splices, and added a safety layer of electrical tape over that), then put a new 3/4 inch split wire loom over all the repairs. Looks pretty much factory again.

And... everything seems to work great. AC is still cold, fan motor does all speeds, no engine/error lights etc. etc.

Looks like the Ford is gonna be here a while.

Great job!! I like it when a good plan actually turns out to be a good plan!!

:thumbup3:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great job!! I like it when a good plan actually turns out to be a good plan!!

:thumbup3:
Thanks. :)

FWIW, the "chewed wire going to the throttle body" turned out to be a 10-12" section of the trickle charger's wiring, that the rats had drug (dragged?) under the engine cover. All I could see was one unconnected end of it sticking out. :hithead:

Am a pretty happy camper (for a change!). At the moment, anyway...

Latest posts

Top Bottom