9mm 1911 vs Browning Hi Power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I think of 1911's, I don't think of 9mm. I think of of course 45, 10mm and even though it's the same bullet 38 super. Just like when I think of Hi-Power, I don't think of 40 cal. I think of 9mm. I think there is a better choice in a 1911 then 9mm, the big hit is now this is for SD. Why limit yourself to 8 or 9 rounds in a 9mm round in the same size gun when you can carry a larger more powerful round. If your thinking of recoil then get a 38 super, with that round you are getting into the 357 mag class. If I was hell bent on getting a 9mm in one or the other, it would be in the HP not the 1911. Main reason is size, why carry a a gun that will only carry 9 rounds when for the same size you can get 14 rounds. Besides, it's a HP you can't go wrong. FYI, FN Hi-Powers cost less then a Browning even though FN has always Browning HP, same gun different stamp.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sarco has listed some israeli bhp clones in thr 250 range...they might be gunsmith specials tho. If ya thinkin bhp ya might as well consider the cz 75s

Yes, I've been looking in to those as well.

Thanks to all for the comments...keep them coming.

As for a little background, I currently have a 9mm XDm 4.5" that has plenty of firepower. My main reason for looking at the 1911 and BHP is just because I like them and want one.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best reason in the World. Here is a matching pair done by the Late Great Austin Behlert.
i203.photobucket.com_albums_aa250_surjimmy_IMG_2980.jpg

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I've been looking in to those as well.

Thanks to all for the comments...keep them coming.

As for a little background, I currently have a 9mm XDm 4.5" that has plenty of firepower. My main reason for looking at the 1911 and BHP is just because I like them and want one.

If you have a pistol...a great reason to get another pistol is because you don't have one. I think surjimmy is on to something...get both...and the best of all worlds would be to get a matching set like his. That set is really nice.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made this same choice a couple years ago, but a BHP was a little out of my price range so I got a CZ 75B. What a fantastic gun, the ergonomics are great and the natural point of aim is spot on. You could shoot either the browning or cz with your eyes closed, plus the extra capacity is much more practical.

Last edited:

archer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like most of you on here I tinker with building 1911's.....worked on a few of the phillipine guns, rock islands, charles daly, citadel and there is a lack of quality with any of the API frames. If you wanted to build one up, I would recommend a stainless frame from caspian, inquire if they have any seconds that are sold as Foster (the parent company of caspian), The fosters still have the same lifetime warranty. Otherwise, go for a springfield.
On the matter of the high powers, see if you can locate one of the argentine FM's. Their quality is right up there and all you really need to do with them is to spend a few hours smoothing out the rough spots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom