9mm Ammo in a .40 Glock!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benschne

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was shooting with a friend a while back and we had switched lanes and pistols in order to try out eachother's guns. I have a Glock 23 and 17 which he was shooting. While I was shooting his, I heard one of my guns jam after about 4 shots ( I didn't know which one at the time since we were at an indoor shooting range with barriers).

When we switched lanes I began collecting my brass and didn't mention the jam. When I returned home and began sorting the 9 from the .40 I noticed that there were about eight 9mm casings that were bulged out on the top half. Apparently, he had accidentally loaded and shot 10 9mm rounds from my glock 23 (.40).

Has anyone else ever heard of this? Would you think that a glock 23 could go through 10 9mm rounds with only one jam?

By the way, the gun seems to be fine as I have put another 500 rounds through it since then with no problems at all.

SwampPapa

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I fired a 16ga shell through a 12ga pump (both shells had black plastic hulls) sounded a little strange cycled normally checked the shell because of the sound, just glad it wasn't a 20 otherwise the a 12 would have loaded behind it

Koolhandlinc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My friends son loaded some 9mm and shot though my XD40. I noticed something funny and watched a case then picked it up. He shot the entire magazine without a jam

benschne

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had no idea about how common this was. I was reading about glock Kbs since they have "unsupported chambers" and I didn't know if I should be concerned about this weakening it.

jimeradams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
During a requalification for a local campus security department, an officer loaded a .40 into the magazine for her issued .45 Ruger P97DC. It was pretty loud!! The .40's brass case attempted to expand to fit the Ruger .45 chamber and split in the process. I kept the case to show to people. Her Ruger was unaffected by the situation.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One time at Band Camp.... lol J/K

The rang I work, I see it time to time. I had a guy come get me and could not get his Colt 45 open. Bad jam. So I took the gun to the back and got it open and is had a 9mm case in it. I did not think I could get it open.

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had a similar experience at a IPSC match at H and H one night. Somehow I got a 9mm cartridge mixted in with my ammo. (I don't even own a 9mm) and it got loaded in my STI magazine. During the stage I had a malfunction and was unable to load a 40 caliber round into my pistol. The range officer had me remove the magazine and looked in the breach, low and behold, there was a 9mm round inside the barrel but the back of the round was still sticking into the breach preventing a 40 caliber round to be fully chambered luckily. It took a little manuvering to get the round out and needless to say, I checked the remaining ammunition I had to ensure that there was no 9mm ammo there.

In the past people would see loaded ammunition on the floor due to whatever reason and they would pick it up and ask if anyone wanted the bullet. I say no now every time. You don't know what will end up in you ammo bag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom