A funny story...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years back...I drove a cab in the Seattle/Tacoma area. I started out on weekends, driving an extended van. It was usually pretty damn lucrative, because I could pick up single, and double passengers during the early evening, and hit the concerts and event centers later, for larger parties with fat tips. It wasn't uncommon to also pick up 8-12 soldiers from the airport...returning from leave.

This story is the first time I delivered to JBLM. The van was stuffed to the gills. I literally had to use my boot, to shove the last private and his duffel bag inside far enough to get the slider closed. There had to be 50 of them in my 14 passenger van. Seriously, there were elbows and assholes hanging out the vent windows. All save for their PFC seemed drunk, but in a rambunctious friendly way. So it was a fun and spirited trip.

This being my first time on a military base in 20 years, I expected the old customs to still be in place, but I was in for a surprise. When I pulled up to the gate, at 2300 hrs, and handed over my license while announcing my intentions....I expected to likely need to exit the vehicle to stow my personal weapon in a safe there at the gate.

Instead, my calm admittance that I was armed, was met with an awful lot of glares, some radio whispers, and a shuffling of airmen which quickly doubled their numbers. A VERY pretty and perky young lady with Sergeant chevrons on her arms approached, and respectfully introduced herself, and explained to me that personal weapons are not allowed on US military installations, and that said military installations no longer have temporary lockers at the gate, to store said weapons.

I apologetically offered to drop my passengers there, and turn my vehicle around and leave, but she patiently explained that my company vehicle was alREADY on govt property, and she was required by law to take physical custody of any armed individual, until they left said property.

I honestly was flabbergasted by this. I mean, what the heck does that look like? I'm thinking I'm about to be dragged out of the vehicle in front of all these drunk kids. Am I about to get tazed? (Don't taze me bro!!!)
Instead....she reaches up, and offers me her pretty little well manicured hand, with a dainty southern tip to the wrist. It was like Scarlett O'Hara offering her hand to be helped into the carriage.

She signaled for the security barrier to be raised, and I very slowly and carefully crept forward as we walked/drove a wide U-turn through the exit gate, gently holding hands throughout the whole maneuver. I'll be honest gentleman....Being 10+ years her senior, and a former Marine non-com, well.....I was smiling the biggest goofy grin and giving her a full crotch salute the whole time. The kids in the back were going nuts. Hooting and hollering, while she just kept batting those beautiful, intense brown eyes at me, and smiling with those Angelina Jolie DSL's.

When it was all said and done, she had disappeared, and I waited outside the gate until a transit arrived to deliver my boys to barracks.
I lived just 1 1/2 mile the other side of the same highway exit, and always simply stopped at my house to leave my handgun for the base visits after that.
After all.....I'd made her a promise!! I took every excuse for the next 2 years looking for AFC Diaz, but never saw her again. Dammit.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years back...I drove a cab in the Seattle/Tacoma area. I started out on weekends, driving an extended van. It was usually pretty damn lucrative, because I could pick up single, and double passengers during the early evening, and hit the concerts and event centers later, for larger parties with fat tips. It wasn't uncommon to also pick up 8-12 soldiers from the airport...returning from leave.

This story is the first time I delivered to JBLM. The van was stuffed to the gills. I literally had to use my boot, to shove the last private and his duffel bag inside far enough to get the slider closed. There had to be 50 of them in my 14 passenger van. Seriously, there were elbows and assholes hanging out the vent windows. All save for their PFC seemed drunk, but in a rambunctious friendly way. So it was a fun and spirited trip.

This being my first time on a military base in 20 years, I expected the old customs to still be in place, but I was in for a surprise. When I pulled up to the gate, at 2300 hrs, and handed over my license while announcing my intentions....I expected to likely need to exit the vehicle to stow my personal weapon in a safe there at the gate.

Instead, my calm admittance that I was armed, was met with an awful lot of glares, some radio whispers, and a shuffling of airmen which quickly doubled their numbers. A VERY pretty and perky young lady with Sergeant chevrons on her arms approached, and respectfully introduced herself, and explained to me that personal weapons are not allowed on US military installations, and that said military installations no longer have temporary lockers at the gate, to store said weapons.

I apologetically offered to drop my passengers there, and turn my vehicle around and leave, but she patiently explained that my company vehicle was alREADY on govt property, and she was required by law to take physical custody of any armed individual, until they left said property.

I honestly was flabbergasted by this. I mean, what the heck does that look like? I'm thinking I'm about to be dragged out of the vehicle in front of all these drunk kids. Am I about to get tazed? (Don't taze me bro!!!)
Instead....she reaches up, and offers me her pretty little well manicured hand, with a dainty southern tip to the wrist. It was like Scarlett O'Hara offering her hand to be helped into the carriage.

She signaled for the security barrier to be raised, and I very slowly and carefully crept forward as we walked/drove a wide U-turn through the exit gate, gently holding hands throughout the whole maneuver. I'll be honest gentleman....Being 10+ years her senior, and a former Marine non-com, well.....I was smiling the biggest goofy grin and giving her a full crotch salute the whole time. The kids in the back were going nuts. Hooting and hollering, while she just kept batting those beautiful, intense brown eyes at me, and smiling with those Angelina Jolie DSL's.

When it was all said and done, she had disappeared, and I waited outside the gate until a transit arrived to deliver my boys to barracks.
I lived just 1 1/2 mile the other side of the same highway exit, and always simply stopped at my house to leave my handgun for the base visits after that.
After all.....I'd made her a promise!! I took every excuse for the next 2 years looking for AFC Diaz, but never saw her again. Dammit.
Be honest, sheit had a bulge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom