A gopher in minutes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I came home this morning noticed a new gopher had taken up residence in my yard. He had 5 new mounds in 3 distinct areas. I started in one area couldn't find a good tunnel so I moved to the freshest mound I could find. I opened it up found a tunnel set my trap and went to clean up the dirt from the other mounds. In about 10 minutes I was at the last mound and found a fresh open tunnel. So I went to check my other trap as its not uncommon to have them in minutes. Sure enough I had a little one already. So I poked him back in the hole closed it up and reset in the new tunnel. If he has a buddy I should have him this evening or the hole will be plugged. Either way that's my first of the year and I am not upset it took this long to have one show up.

This will be pic heavy but give some guys ideas of what it looks like.
Here is the triggered trap.
caught.jpg

here he is caught.
1.jpg

back in the hole and covered up.
done.jpg

This is damage from a mound dirt sitting on grass a day or so since it showed up.
damage from mound.jpg

This is the open tunnel I found when picking up dirt in 5 gallon bucket.
newhole.jpg

Here is the new trap set and ready to go.
new trap.jpg

Here is my scorecard.
scoreboard.jpg

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried trapping. wayyuy to much work for the number of gophers I had so I got this. Simple to use and keeps em dead for about 5 years if you drop in enough poison
Gopher-Mole-Bait-Applicator-GBA-1-Action-960.jpg

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't have much activity I have heard the poision and worms can be a deterrent. I tried one of those dispensers and worms and all the other gimmicks. It never worked. As you can see from my record keeping device I had to take measures into my own hands. I like seeing their cold dead little bodies. Anyone wants to try one of those dispensers I still have it. Make an offer basically you drive and take it out of my garage and its yours. It was okay for trying to locate tunnels but I prefer a solid fiberglass bowfishing arrow.

Updated 2019 totals.

15681275774986277056944715877572.jpg

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't have much activity I have heard the poision and worms can be a deterrent. I tried one of those dispensers and worms and all the other gimmicks. It never worked. As you can see from my record keeping device I had to take measures into my own hands. I like seeing their cold dead little bodies. Anyone wants to try one of those dispensers I still have it. Make an offer basically you drive and take it out of my garage and its yours. It was okay for trying to locate tunnels but I prefer a solid fiberglass bowfishing arrow.

Updated 2019 totals.

View attachment 142682
When I got the dispenser, I wanted to try it on my neighbor across the street first, I bet he had 75 mounds over there. He said do it and I treated every mound, I didnt turn the crank once, I cranked a schit ton of time like 8-10 and after I'd treat a mound, I'd kick it down so i knew it was done. there was never a new mound again for 5 years. I used enough poison that there was plenty of left overs for future move ins. Gophers will migrate and use other abandon tunnels, and this one already had dinner set out for their last supper. Poison milo is what I used. Worked awesome.
Your doing something wrong.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My better half works as a rehabilitator, the amount of owls she gets from eating poisoned critters is astonishing. They usually don't last the first night.
Gophers tunnels are a foot deep so IDK how an owl would get a poison gopher but I assume your talking about other top ground rodents. I can see Dennis' dog wanting to dig them up. That would definitely kill the dog.

Latest posts

Top Bottom