A little sad and angry this Independence Day...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every 4th of July, we all (Mrs. GED's family) gather at my SIL's place for eats, a dip in the pool and fireworks at dark. Just good ol American fun.

Well, it started off bad.

As we were driving to her place, I noticed the local VFW had flags in front of all the merchants on our small main street, just like they do every 4th. That's the best part of the day.

Here's the bad.

Mrs. GED was driving, and as we passed one merchant, I noticed that the flag in front of it was lying on the ground. I immediately told her to turn around and go back. She asked why, and I told her.

We went around the block and stopped along the curb. I got out, gently picked ol' Glory up, apologized to her and proceeded to replace her into the mooring that held her in place, but it had a lot of debris down inside of it. So I rolled her up on her staff and was about to put her in the car, when the wife said, "you idiot! They'll arrest you for that!"

Thinking that she was probably right (she always is) I took out my Victorinox Pioneer and dug out as much debris as I could. I unfurled the flag and replaced it into the mooring. It held her "ok" but I was hesitant. So, I found a thin rock from the crap I dug out and shoved it down inside next to the base of the staff and she stood there nice and tall.

I gave her a wink and quick thank you and left her waving at me.

But what really pissed me off is the many other people that drove by her lying there and they didn't give it a second thought. Has America gotten that bad? Do people not see that as one of the utmost forms of disrespect? I guess I just don't fit in this world anymore. I was either raised with too many convictions or folks just blatantly don't give a :censored: anymore.

God help us and God bless America!

boston-police-department.jpg

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife would have said the same thing. Lol.

I don’t think it’s that people don’t care. I was educated by my father on what it means, and how to care for the Flag. I don’t think people even know how to handle flags now in days. My neighbor is a great older guy, but he leaves his flag up through storms, through the night, and never brings it down. The one time he did, he just folded it up Willy nilly.

My other neighbor is a Vietnam vet and does the same thing with his flag.

With the American flag being printed on everything from stickers, pants, shirts, posters, and everything, a lot of people don’t know you’re suppose to treat the flag with respect. All the while most of those images and small flags are made in other countries that don’t even stand for our values.

Just like all the different colored flags now, thin blue flag, red flag, green flag, saw a purple flag and a black line flag. All of them are technically abominations but worn by so many.

I don’t remember the American flag being as ubiquitous growing up. It’s everywhere now, and people have distressed the image, stretched the image, re colored the image, all kinds of things. For many the flag is less a symbol of respect and reverence. It’s just another image of statement of where we live. Don’t get me started on flying the flag with other flags.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Schools teaching a hatred of America, entitlement, and rampant narcissism.
Broken homes, uninvolved parents and special interests.

Look at the enlistment after Pearl Harbor and 9-11. Few under 30 years old have knowledge of either, much less strong feelings. Imagine such an event today. Look at how media attacks a previous President and covers for the current.

I, too, had a problem celebrating yesterday.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife would have said the same thing. Lol.

I don’t think it’s that people don’t care. I was educated by my father on what it means, and how to care for the Flag. I don’t think people even know how to handle flags now in days. My neighbor is a great older guy, but he leaves his flag up through storms, through the night, and never brings it down. The one time he did, he just folded it up Willy nilly.

My other neighbor is a Vietnam vet and does the same thing with his flag.

With the American flag being printed on everything from stickers, pants, shirts, posters, and everything, a lot of people don’t know you’re suppose to treat the flag with respect. All the while most of those images and small flags are made in other countries that don’t even stand for our values.

Just like all the different colored flags now, thin blue flag, red flag, green flag, saw a purple flag and a black line flag. All of them are technically abominations but worn by so many.

I don’t remember the American flag being as ubiquitous growing up. It’s everywhere now, and people have distressed the image, stretched the image, re colored the image, all kinds of things. For many the flag is less a symbol of respect and reverence. It’s just another image of statement of where we live. Don’t get me started on flying the flag with other flags.

I agree on the shirts made like a flag, with the stars on one side, stripes on the other, yeah, they are disrespectful, but I think a T-shirt with a picture of the flag on it is ok.

And I do have a parch or two of the subdued thin blue line flag. But as far as flying it with other flags. I've only been guilty of flying it with a Gdsden, US Navy and POW/MIA flag, but ol' Glory is ALWAYS at the top of the mast/staff/pole.

And I was a scout as a kid and one of the first things were taught was flag etiquette and procedure and how to properly fold her.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well celebrating the 4th is now racist.

"I’m sorry, but anyone happily waving American flags right now is either a gleeful white supremacist or is gleefully uninformed," she tweeted."

Latest posts

Top Bottom