A Surefire question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do the new Surefire LEDs have a better throw than the older LEDs? :anyone:

I'm thinking about a new Surefire G3 in LED (120 lumens compared to the old 80 lumen lamp) and was curious if it'll reach out there like my little Streamlight PT2L does.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I couldn't find which LED the G3 uses, but if Surefire is keeping with the trends it's a Cree XP-G. You're Streamlight (according to the all-knowing internets) has a Cree XR-E, which is a bit smaller than the XP-G. That right there will probably give the Surefire a bit less throw (bigger LED = less throw and bigger hotspot, assuming identical reflector diameter, depth, and reflector texture). But even with that it just depends on the reflector and how hard the LED is being driven. I don't think Surefire does what most flashlight manufactures do nowadays (inflate the hell out of their lumen counts), so the advertised 120 lumens is probably close to what you'll get.

I'm guessing it still uses the P60 dropins, and those are pretty well equipped for throw. Truth be told I only have experience with the incan Surefires. If you're looking at other brands I could recommend something I own and love, the 4Sevens Quark 123² Turbo. It's one helluva thrower if that's what you're looking for. And if you want plenty of throw but area than the Turbo can give you 4Sevens has a newer model called the Turbo X. It's rocking a Cree XM-L and puts 450 lumens out the front. And like most 4Sevens they have the super low mode if you want it, and also the strobe.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Surefire though. They're great lights.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Surefire E2D LED Defender. It takes two 123 batteries. I take the dogs out at night and it lights up the yard like a spotlight.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Surefire E2D LED Defender. It takes two 123 batteries. I take the dogs out at night and it lights up the yard like a spotlight.

Yeah, the same can be said with my L4 and L2, but neither one of them throw worth a ****.

Maybe I need to define the term "throw" for some of us. :rolleyes2

The term "throw" means to illuminate an object from a considerable distance. All Surefire LEDs will light up a room or your back yard like high noon, but it does so in a more floodlike fashion. Trying to light up an object over 30 or 40 yards away is a stretch for Surefire's "old style" LED lamps. :nono2:

Surefire has recently performed an upgrade on some of their classic models (giving 120 lumens to a standard 6P/G2/9P/G3 lights as well as a few others) and I was just curious if they done anything about their lack of "throw" in these particular models.

kellyreno

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up a Surefire G2X Pro (200 lumens) and it is pretty impressive for the size and price. I am not sure what specific application you need it for, but it will throw a nice beam to 50+ yards and a surprising amount of light even out to 85 or 100yrds. I will have to measure the distance and see. Sounds like some of the guys on here really have some good info on the flashlight tech and specs and I wouldn't want to throw my hat in that ring, but... this little light seems like a dandy.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an old Surefire 6P and I bought an R2 LED from Deals Extreme for about 12 bucks and it has incredible throw, and the new R5 LEDs should be even better. Surefire doesn't usually have the latest and greatest LEDs and they should, for what they cost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom