A tall order

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the need of a knife. I don't usually keep a knife on my person, and don't know a whole lot about the intimate details of knives. I could use any suggestions you got!

What it will be used for:

Wearing while bowfishing, to finish off fish
While fishing for cutting bait, line, etc
Wear while hunting, for whatever.
Camping and such, cutting rope and eating.

What I need:

Resistant to corrosion from water and such
Fixed blade
Bright handle, orange or something fancy, to help me avoid losing it.
Floating? Handle. With the extended use while fishing that it will get, I could really use a backup plan if I drop it.
Non serrated blade. I hate them.
3ish inch blade would be nice.

I don't much care about the finish of the steel as long as it is resistant to corrosion. I guess you could say I am looking for something that is very tough and utilitarian. And floats. Haha.
I have poked around at esee knives, they look nice, and look like you can buy a bare knife, and add handles. I cannot find something that floats though. I also considered diving knives, but I wasn't impressed with anything I found.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd suggest the 3 just because it's thinner steel, so lighter. the lanyard float wouldn't need to be as big. or an izula in venom green... knivesshipfree has esee on sale right now, pretty big discounts.

or, maybe a Mora. cheap, light, orange. baryonyx has all kinds of stuff that would fit your needs, i think.
http://www.baryonyxknife.com/cofst.html

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say Mora. You could by a half dozen Companion F Stainless or two Bushcraft Orange for the price of one ESSE 3 (which is 1095 carbon steel and less corrosion resistant). I also find the ESSE 3 handle a bit small when doing quick work, but they do make aftermarket scales that are longer. You could always drill the handle on a Mora for a floatie.

Although, I see that knivesshipfree has a 440C stainless ESSE 4 with orange scales for $94.45. If I didn't already have an ESSE 4, I'd be snagging that!

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/esee-knives-4p-mb-ss-or-esee-4-stainless-steel-m-o-l-l-e-back/

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Typically the more corrosion-resistant a steel is, the less abbrasion-resistant it is, so more rust-proof = less edge-retention (for the most part).

1095 is an old-school recipe high-carbon steel and very much not corrosion-resistant.

S30V, 154CM, CTS-XHP, etc. are semi-stainless tool steels with good edge-retention and decent corrosion-resistance.

H1, X-15, N680, etc. Are all designed for maximum corrosion-resistance but don't typically have the compisition to temper to what most folks would consider good edge-retention.

Look at the right size/shape for your needs and don't go too big unless you really need it.

Also consider budget - if its going to be used near deep water (with the possibility of dropping it in a lake/pond), then I wouldn't spend a lot.

I doubt you'll find a decent floating fixed-blade, so I'd almost abandon that requirement.

Mora makes decent stainless models with bright handles - I'd start there. Check out some of Spyderco's fixed-blade VG10 or H1 models if you really want rust-proof.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom