? about DPMS 308 magazines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a question.
But first, let me inform that a friend of mine just recieved his DPMS LR308 off Layaway, so we were all excited.
The way he got the gun, it did not come with a magazine, so he purchased a DPMS 4 rnd. mag. first, (from the same dealer he bought the gun from) just so he would know that at least he would have a complete working gun.
A couple weeks after getting the 4 rounder, we go to a gun show and he purchases 2 (20 round DPMS magazines) for what I told him I thought was a decent price for a 308 AR mag since standard AR mags were nearly the same price.

Fast forward to today, we finally get to put the scope on it and shoot it. Now we find a problem.

2 of the 3 (DPMS) mags will not work. The first thing he noticed was the one that does work perfectly has a different style follower than the other 2 and also will hold all 20 rnds. where as the other would only take 19. Next thing I noticed is that the one (19 rounder and the 4 rounder) fit extremely tight in the mag well, the other good mag fits perfectly. I also then notice that the degree or radius of the chamfer on the corners of the 2 mags are different from the 1 good one. Looks to me as if the corners of the mags are more square and therefore fit tighter. That one "19 rounder" will not even slide all the way up into the mag well and lock in place, it is way too tight.

MY QUESTION IS, IF THESE ALL ARE DPMS MAGS, WHY ARE THEY DIFFERENT IN DESIGN AND NOT UNIFORM ENOUGH TO WORK?

I told him the best thing to do would be go back to the dealer where he bought the gun and the 4 rnd. mag from and see if he can get hold of DPMS and get some new mags that will work.
What do you guys think?????????

Other than that, with the one good mag. in place, the gun shoots great and performs flawlessly.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i1171.photobucket.com_albums_r554_drewjordan_20130113_195224_zpsb17b2a5b.jpg

i1171.photobucket.com_albums_r554_drewjordan_20130113_194936_zps275ff1b2.jpg

i1171.photobucket.com_albums_r554_drewjordan_20130113_194855_zps81230f8d.jpg

i1171.photobucket.com_albums_r554_drewjordan_20130113_194829_zps04f0c8b9.jpg

I posted some pictures of genuine 20 round DPMS mags. I can't comment on the 4 rounder, but all the mags I have look like the ones pictured. I have heard of people having AR-Stoner mags that were way too tight in the LR308.

If you read the reviews on MidwayUSA for the 4 rounders, it seems that you aren't the only one experiencing this problem. I wish I could offer more help.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to the .308 AR game but as I understand it, the earlier DPMS mags were actually 19 rounders and they had some issues with them. The newer ones hold 20 rounds and seem to function just fine though I can only speak for the two that I have.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
asp, those followers and base plates in your pictures look exactly like what my 19rounders look like. On my 20's, the baseplate takedown hole is on the other side of the plate, where you can get better leverage, and the followers are more magpully looking, less bullet shaped.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When did DPMS stop shipping rifles without mags? I thought the LR series came with 2 mags....

First question I'd be asking the dealer is: "Where are my mags?".

Unless of course this wasn't a "new" purchase.

green_machine2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
some dealers are know for taking out extra mags to sell them seperate..a easy way for them to 'double dip' on profits.a good possibility.. but I only thought they did that if the gun in question had 2 or more mags.. but, u never know at a time like this when mag prices have more than doubled in price..

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
asp, those followers and base plates in your pictures look exactly like what my 19rounders look like. On my 20's, the baseplate takedown hole is on the other side of the plate, where you can get better leverage, and the followers are more magpully looking, less bullet shaped.

Is there anyway you can post a picture of the 20's follower? I have these magazines and Magpul's. These mags, do hold 20, (I just confirmed my own doubt) and they seat in the rifle without problems. I believe I purchased these circa 2010.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a LR-308, while DPMS got rid of the hard case the rifle should have came with 2 mags. As said though if you contact DPMS they will exchange out the mags. good luck finding any Magpul mags, they are non existant for the LR-308 right now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom