About to buy a tactical bolt gun, suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Currently looking at the Rem 700 SPS Tactical, have the budget for great glass, & a Mcmillian stock. Anyone else have any suggestions? My requirements are simple, solid action, 20" or shorter barrel, & .308 minimum.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Just an opinion from someone who has only done interwebz research, but if it was me, I'd spend less on a stock, get a B&C or HSPrec, and spend the remaining on a new barrel. For that matter, I'd just start with the cheapest .308 bolt face short action 700 I could find, then get a new barrel and stock.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not a Savage 10, then build it the way you like. What really makes it tactical? A goofy shaped plastic stock? An o-ring bolt handle? Some giant overpriced Optic? A 2 point sling?

Obviously I am being a little facetious, but I think you would be better off buying a better starting gun, then building it up. To me, tactical means useful/functional, so I couldn't care less how many bumps, swells, or holes my stock has, as long as I can consistently hit my target at range. Like said above, a barrel will give the most performance, it seems, and the optics you like. The rest is preference, and I agree some of that is look, but should be mostly ergonomics, which only you can decide.

For my money, and for out-of-the-box performance, I would choose a savage 10. I bought the Savage 10 fxp from walmart. It was the best deal I could find. A lot of people choose the Savage Hog Hunter as a build base, which would be good for you. It has a 20" Threaded Bull Barrel that makes the tactical thing acquirable. Add your optics, and a stock, and you are good to go. It also comes stock with the oversized ball bolt handle.

Last edited:

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, before I get folks defining tactical & why I am going to hell for wanting a remington, I carried a remington 700 build when I was in the army, for a deployment to afghanistan. I loved that gun, & I am trying to recreate it.

This will end up being my whitetail & feral hog gun, & more than likely I'll add a suppressor when taxes come in. Already have gen IV night vision, just need a solid platform to start assembling everything.

I know savage makes a great gun, actually eying one now for a second build I am working on, not opposed to one for this build actually, I've used their new trigger and I loved it.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jewell Triggers are way expensive for their fragile-nature (IMHO). I bought a used Timney that wasn't correct for my particular rifle and the President of Timney joined OKShooters.com and responded to my post (I called the company's number from their website to verify that it was him - to my amazement, it was). He had me send in my trigger and sent me a new one that was made for my rifle. I'm a Timney fan for life as a result (absolutely outstanding customer service). It doesn't hurt that their triggers are a bargain for what you get either.

If it were me, I'd buy the cheapest Remington you can find and take it to Steve Baldwin in Jones (Mechanical Accuracy) and have him blueprint it and put a Hart barrel on it. If you're going to spend McMillan money on a stock, then check out a J. Allen Enterprise stock or an AICS. If you want to save money on the stock, then pick up a B&C with the full aluminum bedding block and upgrade later (I've got an HS Precision on my rig and a B&C on my son's rifle and I can't see where the extra $100 went on the HS).

Look at Vortex Optics for glass on a budget, but don't skimp there or on a base/rings. The real killer with Bolt guns is ammo - so either start reloading or buy all of the decent-quality .308 target rounds you can when they're priced right (I got a ton right before all this panic-buying mess).

I did it the hard way for my first build (bought an SPS Varmint and ended up getting rid of about 3/4 of the parts in favor of after-market upgrades) but for my son's build, I just got a cheap SPS skinny-barrel and ended up with a lot less money in a rifle that shot as well or better than mine.

Here's mine:

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Remington_20700_DSCN02291.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Remington_20700_DSCN8939.jpg

My son's:

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Remington_20700_DSCN1511.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Remington_20700_DSCN9920.jpg

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jewell Triggers are way expensive for their fragile-nature (IMHO). I bought a used Timney that wasn't correct for my particular rifle and the President of Timney joined OKShooters.com and responded to my post (I called the company's number from their website to verify that it was him - to my amazement, it was). He had me send in my trigger and sent me a new one that was made for my rifle. I'm a Timney fan for life as a result (absolutely outstanding customer service). It doesn't hurt that their triggers are a bargain for what you get either.

If it were me, I'd buy the cheapest Remington you can find and take it to Steve Baldwin in Jones (Mechanical Accuracy) and have him blueprint it and put a Hart barrel on it. If you're going to spend McMillan money on a stock, then check out a J. Allen Enterprise stock or an AICS. If you want to save money on the stock, then pick up a B&C with the full aluminum bedding block and upgrade later (I've got an HS Precision on my rig and a B&C on my son's rifle and I can't see where the extra $100 went on the HS).

Look at Vortex Optics for glass on a budget, but don't skimp there or on a base/rings. The real killer with Bolt guns is ammo - so either start reloading or buy all of the decent-quality .308 target rounds you can when they're priced right (I got a ton right before all this panic-buying mess).

I did it the hard way for my first build (bought an SPS Varmint and ended up getting rid of about 3/4 of the parts in favor of after-market upgrades) but for my son's build, I just got a cheap SPS skinny-barrel and ended up with a lot less money in a rifle that shot as well or better than mine.

Here's mine:

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Remington_20700_DSCN02291.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Remington_20700_DSCN8939.jpg

My son's:

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Remington_20700_DSCN1511.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Remington_20700_DSCN9920.jpg
That is exactly what I am talking about! Gorgeous! I am familiar with AICS, haven't used them though. I need to put my hands on someone's custom gun so I can see how different stocks fit me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom