About to buy a tactical bolt gun, suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might want to try an older Rem 700 Sendero in 308 or 300WM. Mount a decent scope on it and shoot groups for accuracy with good match ammo (Like Fed Gold Label 175gr). Might be surprised at the accuracy you get. If so, put a trigger of choice and glass that you can afford on it and call it done.

If wanting to re-create an M-40, check over at Snipers Hide forum. I recall a number of accurate re-creation postings.

Spending money is fun and of course, accurate rifles are interesting, but you don't always have to spend a pile of cash to get a rifle that'll shoot .5-.75 MOA from a rest. Aquiring the skill to call wind and consistantly shoot that good from a cold barrel costs the most.

I took your suggestion, a long time ago, I already went the sendero route, & I loved it, great gun!

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, had to go to H&H yesterday & put my hands on different stocks, & then I saw her....a Rem 700 5R..... WOW!!! Exactly my cup of tea. It's a consignment gun, only problem is its chambered in 25 WSM, which I know nothing about. Seems much too small for big hogs. What do you guys think? Btw, price is excellent....

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 700 5R sounds like its made for you. The 5R's are guns built for the armed forces that got rejected for reasons that do not affect function.

Do not get the .25 WSM if you want the .308. Get what you want. Guns are too expensive to settle. Plus it won't be the same gun you shot in the service, the 5R is about as close as you're gonna get with an "off the shelf" gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom