ABT - Always Be Tuning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I finally got the Trifecta Advantage+ tune loaded on my ZR2 last night. In "Sport" mode, you can really tell the difference in throttle response, acceleration and shift logic. The trans shifts a lot more like the '19 Mustang GT I test drove with the A10 automatic. I won't be running any instrumented 0-60 tests, but I can easily believe the claimed half second improvement. Full throttle on the on-ramp to the highway near my house had me backing out of the throttle a lot sooner.

In "Eco" mode, I got on the highway this morning and when it shifted into high gear (sooner than normal), it never downshifted until I got off the highway 14 miles later. It has NEVER managed to pull of that little feat. It will usually downshift several times on even the slightest grades over my daily commute route, sometimes even dropping 2 gears. That was the most desirable improvement for me, as I can't imagine all that gear hunting would be good for transmission lifespan.

I now have the ability to look up my own fault codes, clear logs and if necessary, return it to factory tune specs. I COULD individually deactivate a host of sensors and even program in a "ghost cam", but I'm not messing with any of that stuff.

It will take me a few weeks to see if mpg improves, but with more power and less shifting, it's worth every penny even if I don't gain a single 10th. I'm very happy with the improvements in drivability! :)

P.S. I did deactivate AFM. I know some people believe it causes engine issues over the long haul and even though it's been pretty transparent in operation, it never switches to V4 unless you're 100% off throttle, so it can't really save much if any fuel and it can't hurt anything if it isn't on!

Last edited:

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Abel is supposed to have a good rep. Never used them. I did ask them what a tune would cost me for my 12 ecoboost and they told me either 500 or 550. Cant remember. I think Im going to go with an NGauge and Brew City Boosted for tunes.

2017 3.5 Ecoboost F150 here.

I am on a Ngauge via BCB and have been very happy. I am using their adaptive tunes. I am thinking I will probably go to fully custom tunes sometime this summer. I highly recommend them. Just know that Ngauge uses HP Tuners and there is an additional fee of $200 to get access to HP tuners database or some BS. I was very unhappy when I found out about this as I found out about it after purchasing my tuning device however I decided to suck it up and pay it anyway because I thought they had the best device. You see so many others with issues with their SCT or Bully Dog units.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2017 3.5 Ecoboost F150 here.

I am on a Ngauge via BCB and have been very happy. I am using their adaptive tunes. I am thinking I will probably go to fully custom tunes sometime this summer. I highly recommend them. Just know that Ngauge uses HP Tuners and there is an additional fee of $200 to get access to HP tuners database or some BS. I was very unhappy when I found out about this as I found out about it after purchasing my tuning device however I decided to suck it up and pay it anyway because I thought they had the best device. You see so many others with issues with their SCT or Bully Dog units.

So what does the $200 fee to access the database do? Is there some reason to need their database? I know very little about this stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom