Adding rifle Sights to Shotgun (brazing)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
go to atwoods get the $9.95 silver soder kit its what i used to soder the front sight on my super redhawk. u might run thur it on scrap iron first.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you go to so much trouble take a test fire at a sheet of newspaper from about 20 feet away.

A short barrel shotgun is called a scattergun for a reason but if you have a tight pattern with yours then think about new sights.

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you go to so much trouble take a test fire at a sheet of newspaper from about 20 feet away.

A short barrel shotgun is called a scattergun for a reason but if you have a tight pattern with yours then think about new sights.

Thanks Ive pattered shotguns before in the past. Always wondered where they got the name scattergun though:D:Kidding

The rifle sights are going to be for seeing how far i can fire with some accuracy.Ive tried, but cant really get the accuracy with a bead sight and slugs at longer distances. Since I never owned nor fired a rifle sight shotgun for slug use. It would be a fun winter project also and confidence builder if anything on adding the sights.

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
go to atwoods get the $9.95 silver soder kit its what i used to soder the front sight on my super redhawk. u might run thur it on scrap iron first.

Are you heating it with a standard propane torch?
With regards to heating it near the receiver I was planning on marking, then removing the barrel before applying. May not be necessary if the solder melts fairly quick. Ive never used a silver solder I know regular lead tye electronics solders melts really fast.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should put "heat sink" paste around the barrel lug (ring that holds barrel on) as heat will transfer farther than you think and it is soldered on also and could come loose.
acetlyne torch would be best if using hi-temp solder. Propane torch will work with needle tip in you find some low-temp silver solder.

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you get low temp silver solder, like what Brownells carries (not really silver solder, but has some silver in it) you'll be wasting your time with a propane torch. You'll also need to re-blue when done as the heat will change the color of what's there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom