Shotgun vs AR for SHTF utility?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, if I’m understanding this right, you’re wanting someone to talk you into or out of buying another shotgun, right?

If that’s the case, the answer is always BUY IT!!!
1669328706342.png
:thumbup3:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m all about simplifying life, but in the case of having an extra shotgun, I subscribe to the two is one one is none philosophy.
Well...we aren't counting "hunting" guns...but if you did, then a lot of people who have a home defense shotgun already have a backup or two :)

JuanGrande62221

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once when I was a police officer I had to enter a home where a woman was hiding that had a shotgun claiming she was going to kill herself, there was no backup.

I had a sig 226 , can't remember why I didn't have my 870 but I didn't. While clearing her house room by room I gained a whole new respect for the old pump gun & felt terribly out armed with just my sig. She had left the gun & fled before I got there thank God but since then I keep a good 12 gauge close by most of the time & several throughout the house
I’m the same way. Use to carry and still do occasionally a p226, now usually a smith R8, but 8 out of 10 times I’ll chose my 870 over my rifle (depending on distance). Some think they’re outdated, but they just work.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m the same way. Use to carry and still do occasionally a p226, now usually a smith R8, but 8 out of 10 times I’ll chose my 870 over my rifle (depending on distance). Some think they’re outdated, but they just work.
The man that underestimates the shotgun has never had to face one lol
By the grace of God I didn't but I got close enough for me to learn respect.

Meadhall Range

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The shotgun Can be used, loaded, and racked one handed, not easy but certainly possible.
The whole AR/Pistol/Etc has more ammo thing...yeah because you NEED more rounds compared to a shotgun. The only thing an AR or pistol has over a gauge is some distance. Ammo capacity is a red herring when you consider that a gauge is essentially one bad guy per "serving" while a pistol or rifle might require 3-7. Does a semi rifle/pistol reload faster? Sure...but reloading those one handed isn't a piece of cake either. Inside of a structure I'll take a 12 gauge every....single....time. The other thing the OP asked about was versality. There isn't anything more versatile than a Gauge. There also isn't anything that makes more sense in a lot of ways for a non gun person. If they are only going to get off one shot because it scares the crap out of them I would want that one shot to be THE most effective thing I can. You can make the argument of "harder manual of arms, harder to learn to manipulate and shoot, etc" but when it comes right down to it you need EFFECTIVE.

Vigilance OKC

Marksman
Reaction score
I just purchased an IWI TS12 for all you bullpup haters. If you want a SHTF shotgun there may be nothing better. 15+1 semi-auto with three 5rd rotating barrels. I’ve run this gun and it runs flawlessly with shells over 1,300 fps. This things handles extremely well and is just bad-ass. Give it to the Israeli’s to come up with this given the fact that all their neighbors want to kill them. Now hunting with this gun would be problematic (you might have a hard time convincing the ranger you have plugs in all the magazines and only have a three shot capacity!). But - for self defense, if you need more you should just give up.

I have a Kel-Tec KSG and I know it we’ll never leave the safe again!

1670698853554.jpeg

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, if I’m understanding this right, you’re wanting someone to talk you into or out of buying another shotgun, right?

If that’s the case, the answer is always BUY IT!!!
hes right you know. :) I don't play end of the world anymore. I got a very fast beretta and I got pumpers. All will kill the **** out of you. Depends on the man. An ar gives you some capacity and range. Black rifles have fell so it is easy to get a rifle that will shoot well and be there if you need it.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't do the "SHTF" what if games, but I've carried the M16A4, M4, and occasionally a Benelli M1014 or Mossberg 590A1 in my Iraq deployments.

A good semiautomatic rifle is head and shoulders above any kind of shotgun if urban combat is the place of employment.

Capacity, rate of fire, max effective range, recoil management, weight of additional ammunition, weight period...really the only disadvantage to a carbine is the inability to deploy less-lethal munitions.

In HD situations where overpenetration is a concern, I'll not argue against the shotgun. However for an all out urban combat environment, I'd take a 5.56, or even a 16-18" 7.62x51 for that matter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom