More rounds vs higher caliber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Specifically, would you rather have 12+1 in .380 if the gun was easy to carry and proven reliable, OR would you rather have 10+1 in a less-easy to carry 9mm?

Seems like past research says more ammo always better AND whatever gun comfortable enough to carry all the time (where permitted) is better than a gun you will carry only some of the time?

What prompted this is that I have something I am happy with for summer clothes carry, but truthfully I think it is more comfortable regardless of season/clothing, AND holds 2 more rounds. So I'm trying to decide if having more rounds and an easier to carry gun outweighs having a larger gun that holds a few less but might be more effective and accurate in all types of potential self-defense situations?

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my P365 X Macro. I think it’s like a 17+1. My old neighbor, retired military, carries a full size Colt 1911 .45 7+1 (IIRC). He refuses to consider 10 extra rounds of a lower caliber. To me it makes sense to have the 10rds extra (20 with extra mag). But if you can’t shoot worth a crap then in doesn’t matter

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only hits count, and you can't miss fast enough to be effective/score well.

Carry the one you shoot better. If you shoot both equally well, carry the one you like better. Bonus points if you think it's pretty.

Or you could be like me, do it "wrong" and switch carry guns on the reg. I'm the guy who carries a striker fired one day and a single action only with thumb safety the next. And I'm not morally opposed to carrying a DA/SA hammer gun either. Depends on the situation/how important (or not) absolute concealment is/what I feel like that day.

Just make sure you're carrying something, and you'll be fine.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you legitimately can't hit what you're aiming at, it doesn't matter if you are on shot #6 or 16...you will likely have a hole (or more) in you, or at least a lot of hot lead coming your way. Therefore it becomes paramount to carry what you can hit with.

If that requires you to dress around the gun, so be it.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can have the 45acp..
Let’s say you only have one round in the piece..
You decide to shoot at something in the water..

Attachments

• IMG_1835.png
    IMG_1835.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 0

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today I was carrying the Bisley Vaquero 45, but was going out to the farm. Yesterday I had my 1911 when I went to the ATM. I would carry either anywhere and never feel undergunned. Good marksmanship counts way more than how many rounds you carry.
To point for sure!

Latest posts

Top Bottom