Advice on hog calling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking at the possibility of doing some "damage control" hog hunting on some land by where I work in the hopes of opening up several hundred acres that I can coyote hunt on. A coworker and I have discussed it, and he is in the process of building some hog traps, buy I would really like to call some in. I have a Johnny Stewart e-call and was wondering what types of sounds I could try; also, is this safely done sitting on the ground, or should I try to get elevated somehow? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We called on in this last winter with an electronic call. We sat up near the plumb thickets they seemed to be bedding in.....turned the call on feeding piglets and with in about 1 minute out popped a large boar......that got blasted! I really thought my buddy was jacking with me when he pointed over there because it was so quick. I know it was probably luck, but that is the only time we tried it. We were calling from the ground as well. Hope you have as good of luck as we did!

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what type of call was you using? I just hit johnny stewart website, and didn't see any hog sound cards, although I have a "wild piglet distress" on one of my coyote cards. I thinking there is no certain time of year this would work better since I believe the sows can reproduce several times a year(thus the hog explosion?).

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am unsure what it was. We have since then lost it. It was one that was like $20 hand held and had like five different pig sounds on it. I'll try to figure out what it is called.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a large boar come in to a predator call last winter. Only time it has ever happened to me but he came across a big wheat field right to the call and my buddies shot him. I was across the road watching another big opening.
ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_IMG_0621.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom