After Over Three Years Since Taking Course, Applying For CCW Tomorrow - Need Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OV1kenobi

Marksman
Reaction score
After taking my CCW course back in November, 2008 I am finally able to apply for my permit. I would have done it much sooner, but due to financial difficulties I was unable to pay the fees nor acquire a suitable weapon back in 2008. Thank God, all is well now.

So, I have the following questions and ask the advice of you on this forum: BTW, I will be applying in Rogers County.

1. I've been thinking of going for the ten-year permit, but am more inclined to go for the five-year permit just in case the fees should drop in the interim. One never knows, but U.S. citizens residing in Oklahoma might even get "Constitutional Carry" during the next five years. Also, if things should go awry, I am thinking it would be better to lose $100.00 rather than $200.00.

On the other hand, I have been thinking of applying for the ten-year license in order to be "grandfathered" just in case of political shenanigans.

2. Fingerprint Cards: Should I leave these blank and fill them out only in the presence of either the Rogers County Sheriff, or a Rogers County Deputy Sheriff? I reside in rural Rogers County, so I will be going to the Rogers County Sheriff's Office to submit my application.

3. Fees: I will get a couple of passport photos at Walgreen's in Claremore. Since I will have to be fingerprinted for both cards by the Sheriff's office, I would like to know if the fee is still $25.00 for the Sheriff. Also, must the Sheriff's fee be paid by money order or cashier's check?

4. May I assume that my course and the certificate from 2008 are still valid? Should I include the original certificate with my application, or will a photocopy do?

I am really looking forward to finally getting this process completed, so that I might exercise my constitutional rights, despite the fees.

I look forward to any advice you fine folks can offer me.

David

Last edited:

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1. No answer for you
2. Fill them out when you get to the sheriffs office
3. Not sure about the fee for Roger's county but method of payment is different for every county, just call and ask them
4. Yes your training certificate is still valid and you have to submit the original with you app.

OV1kenobi

Marksman
Reaction score
CODE_3:

Thank you for your advice. Will call the Rogers County Sheriff's Department early tomorrow for payment information.

Also, will make a photocopy of my training certificate for my records, but include the original with my application.

OV1kenobi

Marksman
Reaction score
Something else I've been thinking about: Should I write down my physical address or my mailing address on the Business Reply Mail envelope to the O.S.B.I.?

Also, in the citizenship block on the fingerprint cards, should I write "U.S.", or "United States of America"?

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something else I've been thinking about: Should I write down my physical address or my mailing address on the Business Reply Mail envelope to the O.S.B.I.?

Also, in the citizenship block on the fingerprint cards, should I write "U.S.", or "United States of America"?

The Sheriff's office will take your app and when your background comes back they will send off your app not you. US will be fine for citizenship.

OV1kenobi

Marksman
Reaction score
Thanks!

One more thing.

In the "Armed Forces No. MNU" block on the fingerprint cards, should I write down my social security/military I.D. number if I have ever served in the Armed Forces Of The United States (which I have)? Or, is this something for currently active-duty personnel only?

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went the ten yr permit route when I renewed last time, so I'd be grandfathered in. If constitutional carry becomes law... you might be able to carry openly, but still need a permit to conceal carry or vice versa... as I can't see the state giving up the revenue that the licenses generate for the OSBI. I could afford the 10 yr license right now.. but 6 yrs from now I might not be able afford a license fee increase with the economy being like it is now.

Fingerprints-- I just let the Sheriff's office do them for me...

Photos- They may have gone up-- but when I renewed my license not long ago-- the photo portrait booth at WalMart made mine for $10. The Sheriff in my area was doing it for $20.

Payment... I don't think it matters. A phone call can clear it up in a few moments.

Certificate-- It is good life.. whenever you want to use it...as stated above the original must be submitted w/ your application. As for copies, I have a copy of my full original application and all renewals, certificate of training, payment receipts and finger prints. I just ran them through my computer scanner / printer and filed them away.

Address- Personally, I'd use my home mailing address if it is not a Post Office Box. No need of giving some bureaucrat a confusing moment of having 2 different addresses.

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks!

One more thing.

In the "Armed Forces No. MNU" block on the fingerprint cards, should I write down my social security/military I.D. number if I have ever served in the Armed Forces Of The United States (which I have)? Or, is this something for currently active-duty personnel only?

It's not required.

OV1kenobi

Marksman
Reaction score
Well, I did it! After all this time!

It was actually a very painless process. The Rogers County Sheriff's Department had there own fingerprint cards which they filled out and then scanned the prints electronically. Also, the $25.00 fee was waived because I am a disabled veteran. I didn't ask for the fee waiver, but was offered. Aside from the O.S.B.I. fees, my only expense was $10.00 at Walgreen's in Claremore for the two passport photos.

Thanks for your replies and advice; particularly to Code_3.

Now, the waiting begins.

Latest posts

Top Bottom