1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'Self Defense and Handgun Carry' started by gerhard1, May 10, 2020.

1. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I have an issue with the LEO in this video. Arbery was doing nothing. The LEO would have rolled right by if it had been a white guy sitting in his vehicle in a park if that is really what it was. Just because the cop says its a high drug activity area doesn't make one bit of difference to violate ones right to privacy. Did Arbery have a past history of drug dealing? We don't know. Even if he did and was exhibiting no criminal activity, he has a right to not be harassed.
    He was committing no crime and I can see why he is angry. The LEO had every right to look into the window and Arbery was not within his rights to block that view.
    There was a lot of fault that originated with the LEO IMHO.

TedKennedy likes this.
  2. jakeman

jakeman Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%

Not even a little bit. Not close. I'm saying nothing of the sort. I havent' brought up ****. If you'd like to show us all where I have, feel free to do so, I'll wait.

I don't have an opinion, one way or the other. I've read a couple of different investigator reports and see 45 seconds of video. I haven't seen near enough to have an opinion. You apparently have seen enough to skip the trial and go right to the penalty phase. Good for you. But, your opinion is just that, it's an opinion, and it bears no more weight than the same ill conceived opinions that think these yahoo's were justified in killing this guy.

As for accusing me of saying these guys were "just some good ole boys taking out the trash", I'm offended. I'll try not to let it ruin my day.

Get over yourself pal. Your opinion is just your opinion, in the end, you don't "know" any more about this case than every other yahoo and what you do know you got from the media and the youtubes. Clearly trusted sources of unbiased information.

3. jakeman

jakeman Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    That is ridiculous. You don't know that. You don't know the first thing about that officer. Nothing. Not one damn thing, and you absolutely
    just called him a racist.

You guys beat all sometimes.

Mad Professor likes this.
  4. TedKennedy

TedKennedy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I doubt the LEO could tell what race the guy was with those tinted windows. LEO should have left him alone but- Arbery could have reacted a whole lot better. I'd have been pissed if I was the guy in the car - but self control looks like something Arbery lacked.

I see nothing but losers in every scene of this drama.

5. DavidMcMillan

DavidMcMillan Enjoy your life!

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    They're going to have these characters tried, convicted, and shipped off while you guys are still trying the case here.

But some good thoughts on all sides.

6. Tanis143

Tanis143 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You're right. For that, I apologize.

I've based my opinion on three things: the initial police report which was released, the video taken by a 3rd party of the shooting, and Georgia law on citizen's arrest and the legal definition of trespassing. I've not watched any news articles. Have I used Colion Noir as a reference? Yes, because A) he is a lawyer and B)He has spoken out on shootings like this and has never used race as a basis for his opinion. Using the three things listed points to the McMichaels being in the wrong and legally responsible for Arbery's death. I have stated, multiple times, that if proof comes out that they had direct knowledge of Arbery committing a felony, then that would change things. So far, no evidence has been produced to support this. So yes, I have formed my opinion, but its an unbiased one as I have not looked at any of the participants background, just the facts as they have been presented.

I have also stated that anything can happen in a trial. What will happen is the defense lawyers will try to use Arbery's past to justify what the McMichaels did, just as several other members in here have done. And the good ole boy statement? That is pretty much what people who focus on Arbery's past are doing. The McMichaels were just two good boys trying to stop a criminal. Lets just overlook the simple fact what they did was illegal and it gave Arbery every right to defend himself. But Arbery bad, McMichaels good....

gerhard1 likes this.
  7. gerhard1

gerhard1 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I'm not certain about Georgia, but Florida does not permit the deceased's past criminal record to be raised by the defense as justification unless it was known to the defendant at the time the homicide happened.

In other words, if I am attacked by a stranger and it looks to me as if I'll be beaten to death, I can use deadly force to protect myself. If I find out later that the guy was a martial arts expert or a boxer or professional body-builder, I can't use this to defend my use of deadly force, because I did not know it at the time. Likewise, if the McMichaels did not know of any criminal record (if any) of Arbery, they might not be able to use it to justify their detention and subsequent killing of the man.

This assumes, of course, that Georgia law and that of Florida are similar in this regard.

In the Zimmerman case, the defense tried to introduce Martin's criminal past but the judge quite properly did not allow it, as Zimmerman only found out about it after the encounter.

8. 30Luger

30Luger Marksman

Sounds like a lot of people posting in this thread would be better off moving to California or some other lib shitehole

9. SMS

SMS Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yes...and so many are focusing on the "well lookie here! He wasn't just a jogger!".

So what? That's not the point any of us are making. He could've been running straight from committing a brutal murder and the McMichaels would be no more right in doing what they did unless they had witnessed it.

Is a media narrative wrong about a facet of the story. Yup. Is it the central facet that strikes at the heart of the legalities of the case. Nope.

Disagreeing with the actions of the McMichaels does not make one a lib or a commie or a puppet for MSNBC. Labeling anyone who does as such just makes you look incapable of defending your position. I'll stack up my conservative credentials against anyone calling me a lib in a heartbeat.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    SoonerP226, RickN and Tanis143 like this.
  10. TedKennedy

TedKennedy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    May be there's more, may be there's not. I'm sure more detail will emerge at trial time.

In the meantime, ponder this:
    Arbery was likely a criminal doing criminal stuff. The legality of the McMichaels' actions aside - they very well may have stopped a predator early in his career.

You want a peaceful neighborhood, or do you want to live on the frontier? We may have reached a point in society where vigilante action is necessary - or we may soon reach that point.

Mad Professor likes this.