1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'Self Defense and Handgun Carry' started by gerhard1, May 10, 2020.

1. Tanis143

Tanis143 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The thing is we will never truly know what was said to Arbery. They could have said they wanted him to wait for the police, they could have said "Stop right there ***** or we will shoot!". We don't know. And we will never find out for sure. That's why you have to look at what evidence we do have. They tried to stop him, while visibly armed, and had no right to do so. By all apparent evidence, Arbery had every right to defend himself. Why does this part puzzle you and not that the McMichaels tried to do an illegal stop when the elder should have known the law, knew what he was doing was illegal, and yet he did it anyway?

2. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Because you are thinking from a perspective of how you would have reacted/responded . A criminal most often goes into fight/flight mode.

3. gerhard1

gerhard1 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    From my perspective, it was poor tactics for Arbery to react like he did, but it was the McMichael's who started the incident. Arbery acted in self-defense in response to his attempted detention by the McMichael's. What they should have done was to contact the police, and follow him if they thought that he did something illegal.

Where am I wrong here?

Shoot Summ likes this.
  4. Profreedomokie

Profreedomokie Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Mad Professor is most likely right. I guess it puzzles me because I wouldn't have reacted like Arbery did. As far as the evidence we have is what the lame stream media wants us to have.

Mad Professor likes this.
  5. DavidMcMillan

DavidMcMillan Enjoy your life!

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Fortunately, or unfortunately, I am not a minority that has grown up in a society that sees racism in everyday life. The fathers have to tell their sons about being stopped for “driving while black”, and all the other issues that many have to face on a daily basis.

We don’t know what took place leading up to the incident, we don’t know the potential bias of the white men, or the attitude of the black man. But that is what is comes down to. Black racists have one version, white racists have another version, and the rest of us understand that the actual truth will never be known.

6. 30Luger

30Luger Marksman

Ahmaud Arbery Has criminal history ... but he was “ jogger “ that dindonuffin...

this is just another voter turnout tool by the democrat media to racebait votes for the upcoming election.

trbii and Profreedomokie like this.
  7. gerhard1

gerhard1 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    This begs the question as to whether the McMichaels actually saw or had direct knowledge that* Arbery committing a felony. If they didn't (and the evidence I've seen tells me that they did not) then their detention of Arbery was not lawful and Arbery had every right to defend himself.

Should Arbery have went inside the house? No, he shouldn't have. That, I think everyone agrees on. But all the video shows is that he looked around. That is trespassing, and that is not a felony.

And just FTR, I question whether Arbery's criminal history will come into play in the McMichael's defense unless they knew about it at the time of the incident.

*as opposed to suspect

8. elwoodtrix

elwoodtrix Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    explain how he defended himself?

9. 30Luger

30Luger Marksman

here is the dirty filthy “jogger”

Watch the 4 minute mark and see how this “jogger” responds to an officer looking into his shitbox

10. SMS

SMS Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    That’s easy. As Arbery ran around the right side of the pickup to avoid the McMichaels illegal roadblock, the McMichaels with the shotgun changed positions. It’s not clear on the video but it’s not unrealistic to imagine him moving to block Arbery or attempt to detain him...or threaten him with the gun. At that point Arbery moves to defend himself by trying to grab the gun. Stupid maybe, but that doesn’t make it not an attempt at self defense.

Should he have kept running? Probably, but how does anyone know how they will act when they are confronted with the threat of deadly force?

Glock 40 and ignerntbend like this.