Air conditioning fan motor blew out last night - Help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XChosen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At 4am this morning my external fan decided to throw a bearing or something because it started to scream like an alarm going off outside.

I shut everything off and disassembled the unit this morning and now I need a replacement motor. I've started calling around but since it's sunday nobody is open.

The model is emerson model k55hxltc-0248 hp 1/3 rpm 1075 amp 1.7 volt 208-230 60 hz part number 100483-01.

If anyone has a suggestion I am all ears. I don't care to have the family go without AC today.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine quit too but I did not hear any noise. You can spin the fan by hand. Sounds like the compressor still can run. Hopefully it did not run too long before I found it. Noticed the temp went up instead of down yesterday when I got home. Maybe ran an hour with out a fan:(

XChosen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get this, I get a call back from Bailey Brothers. They say it's $180 for the install and $400 for the motor. You have got to be kidding me, the motor is about $130 and takes 10 minutes to install. Bailey brothers are a bunch of ass clowns.

I did have luck with All State Electric Motors. They are going to be working in the shop today and said I could come up and get the motor. One ass clown one decent fellow. I guess that balances out the cosmic karma for the day.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine quit too but I did not hear any noise. You can spin the fan by hand. Sounds like the compressor still can run. Hopefully it did not run too long before I found it. Noticed the temp went up instead of down yesterday when I got home. Maybe ran an hour with out a fan:(

You may just have a bad capacitor. But, I wouldn't run the compressor without some air blowing past it.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine went out a few weeks ago and the very next weekend my neighbor's did too.
I called a guy that replaced it with an emmerson motor for $290. It was done by
Darren's Heat & Air (405) 517-3654

I replaced my neighbors by taking the old motor to Locke Supply. I got the motor and capacitor for $205. I think the extra money was worth hiring it out but I was able to get a GE motor at Lockes and Darrens guy put in an emmerson ($130ish)

In this heat, I put a water hose fogger on the unit. It greatly reduces the air temp the unit tries to cool. Make sure the coils are super clean too.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you have a good box fan you can set it on top, and the ac will run, won get as cold, but better than nothing. just make sure you turn it on high!

A person could burn up a compressor doing this. Condenser fan motors are one of those things that you can really get corn holed on. The motors are not that hard to come by and are very easily installed if you are half way handy. When you get your new motor make sure it calls for the same size capacitor as the original. Better yet go ahead and replace the old one.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We got our motor fixed here in stillwater for $60 i think the place is on perkins road the wife took it in so i do'nt know, it had been making a lot of noise before it went out. Yeah they wanted like 3-400 buck to fix ours to.
Yeah they are easy if you not sure of the wiring take a lot of pics before you take them off.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to crow about something here.

Had to have the fan unit replaced at home about 6 weeks ago. Had to have some work done on the office unit shortly afterwards. Used the same company. The tech said "ya know, if you had our Platinum Protection Plan this would only have cost you 20 bucks." So I told him to give me the info.

Price was decent considering how much I had spent over the last few years between the office and house on replacements and repairs so I took the bait and took out the plan.

Supposed to cover PM on the units several times a year, changes in air filters, etc and if anything goes wrong, I only pay 20 bucks a visit.

10 days after I signed and gave them the check, the home units craps out. Compressor was fried.

I gotta hand it to these guys. They beat the bushes and put in overtime to get my house back on line. They couldn't find a compressor so the put in an entirely new unit outside. They finished around 9:30PM. By then, it was so hot in the house that the butter was melting.

And it only cost me 20 bucks.

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom