Air Force helicopter struck by bullet makes emergency landing in Virginia; FBI investigates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/us/air-force-helicopter-bullet-emergency-landing-virginia.amp
Air Force helicopter struck by bullet makes emergency landing in Virginia; FBI investigates

One crew member was hurt in the UH-1N Huey helicopter incident
By Michael Balsamo, Robert Burns | Associated Press
Published August 12, 2020 Last Update 7 hrs ago
I know the army got rid of their Hueys around 2005-ish. It was sad to see the old girls go. I didn’t know any of the other branches including the Air Force to still have them in service. Matter of fact I had no idea the Air Force had them to begin with.

Talk about a lucky shot. Sucks that they got hit but amazing somebody actually hit it.

I wonder if they sell the old Hueys of or chop them up. I’m not rich enough but I’d like to have one.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know the army got rid of their Hueys around 2005-ish. It was sad to see the old girls go. I didn’t know any of the other branches including the Air Force to head them in service. Talk about a lucky shot. Sucks that they got it but amazing somebody actually hit it.

I wonder if they sell the old Hueys of or chop them up. I’m not rich enough but I’d like to have one.

Yeah, the USAF's 1st Helicopter Squadron is pretty cool. They are the "other" famous white top helicopters in the region. Their primary mission was originally to help evacuate the government out of D.C. in the event of a nuclear war. Now they are mostly used for executive/dignitary transport in the national capital region, but they also assist with medical evacs and other civil relief.

They used to keep birds and crews sitting on alert just like the bombers of old...not sure if they still do that or not.

Well maintained birds. Got to fly on one once.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, the USAF's 1st Helicopter Squadron is pretty cool. They are the "other" famous white top helicopters in the region. Their primary mission was originally to help evacuate the government out of D.C. in the event of a nuclear war. Now they are mostly used for executive/dignitary transport in the national capital region, but they also assist with medical evacs and other civil relief.

They used to keep birds and crews sitting on alert just like the bombers of old...not sure if they still do that or not.

Well maintained birds. Got to fly on one once.
You got to fly in one.....dang, how cool is that. Saaaweet

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, that's crazy - The Air Force has helicopters! I spent 20 years in the military and never knew that. Seriously, I thought they were only fixed wing.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, that's crazy - The Air Force has helicopters! I spent 20 years in the military and never knew that. Seriously, I thought they were only fixed wing.

The USAF has a couple hundred helos, mostly for combat search and rescue. Hueys and Pave Hawks mostly, Ospreys too if you want to lump them in with helos. We had HH-53 Jolly Greens until the early 2000's too.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know the army got rid of their Hueys around 2005-ish. It was sad to see the old girls go. I didn’t know any of the other branches including the Air Force to still have them in service. Matter of fact I had no idea the Air Force had them to begin with.

Talk about a lucky shot. Sucks that they got hit but amazing somebody actually hit it.

They sold a lot of them to other countries and there are a lot in the US in private hands but 99% are under FAA "experimental category" , mostly used for industry and have to get flight plan approved by FAA every time they lift off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom