Air Helper Springs or Air Bags or…?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Recently got a two axle 5x10 dump trailer for my half ton pickup. I’m confident in the trucks abilities pulling the trailer even though a 3/4 ton would always be better suited but what would y’all recommend to help the rear end of my truck when I tow the trailer with a load of dirt or whatever I may be hauling?

Truck is a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi

Trailer was recommended by the dealership for half ton pickup use.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't think it would need them if the trailer is rated for half ton use. I wouldn't even mess with them if you just occasionally use the trailer. If it's daily use then I might.

I guess my main reason for wanting to put some help under it is because Rams have coil
Springs so they have a very nice ride but they get a horrible squat on them when a heavy trailer is attached. Not bottoming out or anything but there is a helluva squat.

Hauled a pickup bed full of landscape bricks the other day and my rear view mirror was pointed at the blacktop. It looks absolutely ridiculous when hauling a load. Haha.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Thinking about getting these

IMG_0416.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve had air bags on my F250 since it was new, and I love them for towing or hauling a load. However, they do make the ride rougher when empty no matter how much air you let out of them.

I agree with Okie that unless you’re using the trailer on a very regular basis I would live with the squat.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have air bags and the only real complaint is they required air every 2 weeks or so. They were ok for everyday driving at 5 psi until they went down. Maybe should have bought the compressor but that's more maintenance. But for towing it was the cats meow. I removed a leaf spring then installed them. Firestone brand.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
PRO TIP;

Sell or trade off the Pansy Pickup of 4 wheel coil spring variety, good for girlie to look cool in and say she has "big truck"!

Buy manly pickup with 4 wheel leaf springs, of 8 lug variety with 5 or 6 speed stick shift, and put worries in past.

Tow trailer with ease!

Someone in another thread said they do weird gay stuff with their F-350 so I want to avoid a truck like that.

Also, My half ton fits in my garage. A bigger truck wouldn’t. Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom