Air Helper Springs or Air Bags or…?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Someone in another thread said they do weird gay stuff with their F-350 so I want to avoid a truck like that.

Also, My half ton fits in my garage. A bigger truck wouldn’t. Lol
I had Firestone bags on my 12' F350 Dually, it rode so rough in the back regardless I'm not sure if it made it worse or better as far as ride. Bags or no bags there's no comparison in handling between a dually and a single rear wheel, I only had them to help with the squat, and it took a bunch to squat it just stock. I'd read as many product reviews on the HD coils and see what folks say in the real world about squat and the ride quality for every day use. You don't want to turn a good ride into a buckboard wagon for everyday driving lol.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I had coil sprung vehicles and needed more load hauling.
I went with air shocks or different coil springs or a shock with overload springs on it.

When I haul dirt or rock I haul an entire bed full and that weighs a lot.

If you are just a couple inches from bottoming out on the snubbers the ride is horrible as when you hit a bump on one side the thing hits the snubber then rocks the vehicle side to side.

I want it on the snubbers.
But not for hauling a nose heavy trailer.

Friend did not believe me about making it bottom out until he hauled 2 loads of dirt.
First load he said was a scary ride 1977 long bed chevy.
Second load he did as I told him load it to the snubbers.

He said it hauled so much better.

1969 3/4 ton chevy of my friends has coils in the rear but leafs are back there as overloads.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old F100 2WD had a set of 1 ton coils in the front and a long leaf spring added to the rear spring pack. It was a firmer ride than a standard truck, but I never found it harsh and the improved handling loaded and unloaded was a benefit.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my experience any truck I’ve drove or ridden in with helpers and such has been quite a bit stiffer ride when empty. Hit a speed bump and the bed jumps into orbit lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom