Airgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIG229

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started this thread here since an air rifle is more like a rimfire than a shotgun/centerfire rifle (I guess). I've been shopping for a decent moderately priced air rifle. There are quite a few in my price range ($200-$300) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these and would care to give your thoughts (quality, features, etc.). Some models I like are the Gamo Whisper series, and yesterday at Academy I came across the Crossman Nitro Venom Dusk. I'm confining my choices to rifles that have integrated sound suppression since I want to use it in my good sized but very suburban backyard. Any information on how quiet the different models are would be very helpful as well.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Gamo Big Cat series. I've had it for over 3 years and that thing is awesome. I've killed rabbits, squirrels and more. Body shots at that, there's no need for head shots with one of these. They are powerful for what they are. I definitely recommend it. Here's mine.

[Broken External Image]

basshunter405

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a daisy model 131..got a walnut stock got her when i was 13...still fires great kills any small game..still looks great idk if they make em anymore but if they do id recomend one

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Airgun nut here ... was deep into airguns before firearms
don't shoot my airguns near enough anymore.

there's three basic style of airguns.

1. springers
2. pneumatic using high pressure air or co2
3. pump up pneumatic

the best/highest quality choices and stay reasonable in price are:

1. German made Beeman R7, R9, R1, etc $250-$450
2. Benjamin Discovery Air Rifle that uses high pressure air or Co2 .. $380
3. Sheridan Rocker Safety Blue/Silver Streaks .. $125- $325 depending on condition

almost without exception low price springers are from China. a lot lower quality than German made springers. but they costs a fraction .. $150 vs $450 for new prices

my recommendation is a used Beeman R7 or R9 or Sheridan rocker safety blue streak for the $200-$300. one could certainly get a nice German R-7 or R-9 in that price range, by careful shopping on the yellow airgun classifies.

Last edited:

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you considered a .22 bolt action rifle with subsonic rounds? (You can get a pretty nice .22 for the money you're thinking of spending.) Quieter than a non-suppressed air gun using something like the Aguila 60 grain SSS. Just a thought. I hope the suggestion doesn't offend.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
part of the advantage of shooting an airgun is lower ft lb.

my fav, Beeman R-7, shoots a 7.9 gr .177 pellet at 590 fps = 6 ft lb energy. over penetration is always a concern. having a lower power airgun is not a disadvantage.

R-7 is also very quiet. one hole rested groups at 10 meters is the normal.
big time fun picking off leaves shooting off hand. German Beeman usually comes with a Rekord trigger. one of the finest two stage triggers available. mine is set at 1lb 8oz.

6ft lb energy has just barely enough power to kill a squirrel if you do your part.
6ft lb is plenty for any pest birds like starlings or English house sparrows.
non-native pest birds are the only birds one should even consider shooting.
Starlings are incredibly hard to shoot. one shot and the entire flock takes off.

Last edited:

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deal alert ... decent airgun for $40... but you gotta drive to Ramona, OK to pickup
PM me for his phone or click on link

---------------

Professional BB Gun - $40 (Ramona, Ok)
Date: 2011-07-13, 11:23AM CDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Crossman Sierra Pro BB Gun with an adjustable scope. The scope is 3-9 x 40. In excellent, new condition.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

[Broken External Image]

SIG229

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I think the bolt .22 is out of the question (for this application, I still have one on my wish list) for the reasons CY stated. I live in a suburban neighborhood with a large fenced backyard, so safety is the primary concern. I want to be able to set up a trap with targets at one end and get cheap, convenient trigger time, so I'm not looking to shoot critters or anything. I will look into the models CY suggested as well, thanks.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
here's a link to the Yellow airgun forum... it's the largest in USA by far.
click on classifies, but don't buy anything unless seller has good feedback on BOI.
which is a feedback system for sellers.

airgun sales has one of the highest incidences of fraud of any online sales. so buyer beware and only use paypal funded with a credit card.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

Latest posts

Top Bottom