Airgun for Varmints?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm disappointed with how loud mine is. I can't remember what it is, but is a break barrel 22. Not as loud as 22lr but was a lot louder than I expected. Not as stealthy as I hoped.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what weight pellet do you shoot for 50yrds???
Right now I use the Beeman silver arrow. It is 11.57 gr. I liked the Beeman Kodiac 177 but ran out and have not found them. They were a domed rather than pointed. Sig Sauer makes a domed one one at 10.03 gr. I may try that tho the silver arrows work fine.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right now I use the Beeman silver arrow. It is 11.57 gr. I liked the Beeman Kodiac 177 but ran out and have not found them. They were a domed rather than pointed. Sig Sauer makes a domed one one at 10.03 gr. I may try that tho the silver arrows work fine.
Okay, makes sense the heavy would be effective out farther...however I have found that my nitro piston guns don't make the same FPE with heavy 177 pellets as they do with medium weight pellets. However, pumpers love heavies...I have a Winchester 1977xs and with over-pumping and a 10.5gr pellet I can get up to ~16FPE...that is some serious power for a plastic chinese pump air gun. My break barrel 22cal only gets ~17ish.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
@OP, I would buy a Texas Air Force air rifle if I had the cash to throw around. But, at the end of the day, even if going for a cheaper, quality air rifle, you’re typically better off with a 22lr bolt gun. With the CBs, shorts, colibris, long, and long rifle rounds to choose from you really can tailor the rifle to what you need. I’ve shot a bolt gun with colibris in town and it’s no louder than a BB gun. For the price of a nice air rifle you can get a keystone cricket and a savage mk2 with a scope, and still have 100-150 left over for ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom