Silver and Turquois from NM, AZ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my closest friends grew up on the Rez outside Farmington NM. He recently moved back. I remember the last time I was driving through NM I asked him where I could get some good turquoise/silver jewelery for reasonable prices like he could get. I would love a bolo/necklace/ watch band set with a few rings and other accessories to go with. He told me that I won’t because I’m white, and the best thing to do was to get with him to have him get me the hookup. So, I suggest finding a local that can get you in with said craftsmen, cause otherwise, assuming you’re white, you’re gonna have a bad time.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We went to the plaza in Sante Fe. Several native women with jewlery on blankets sitting under a roof for shade. Wife saw one necklace she really liked and tried it on. Asked the price, was told $2000 dollars. She quietly took it off and laid it back down on the blanket, and we walked on.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
We went to the plaza in Sante Fe. Several native women with jewlery on blankets sitting under a roof for shade. Wife saw one necklace she really liked and tried it on. Asked the price, was told $2000 dollars. She quietly took it off and laid it back down on the blanket, and we walked on.
I betcha it looked like this.

1698031181744.png

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We used to visit ABQ quite a bit, as my wife has a cousin there. The last time was about 4 years ago. The locals around Old Town (especially jewelry) were very upset that all of the shops were being bought up by big companies about 10 years ago. At that time, one independent shop said they were the last holdout. They were gone when we went back four years ago, as was a pottery shop that we would ALWAYS go to and find some nice Acoma that we liked. There were still a few selling turquoise/silver on the blankets/ground on the square at that time. There was always one or two very gifted artists that were Native American, and we have gotten any number of nice pieces from them. My suggestion is to talk with whoever you find there on the square that has work you like. But not all of it is Native American--a number of just artist-types making pretty stuff. Never found anything priced reasonably in Santa Fe. And the recommendation to check the Pueblos is a good one, but my experience is that was mainly for pottery.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched the first couple episodes of a show on Prime about a family of turquoise miners that were a few hours north of Las Vegas NV. Can't remember the name, but the matriarch was setting up a store for jewelry. The show was kind of interesting for a minute, but they were trying really hard to add drama already -- so after learning a little about turquoise mining, I quit.

All pretty useless info for you, but good luck!

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info. Wifey knows it will be a challenge to find the right supplier for what she's looking for. Time, patience, education and hard work will get her to the right place individual to purchase from. She has that kind of grit and determination. On a side note, if your wife or lady friend really enjoys some high quality Native American silver and turquois take a look at a gal named Brit West. She has some of the nicest jewelry of this type you will find. Has built the relationships with the Native craftsmen/women over the years that my wife could only dream to have. She also make incredible leather good out of well worn bridal and saddle leather. Her talents are fantastic and being a former supermodel she nice to admire too.

https://britwest.net/pages/our-story

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad was an Oklahoma rock hound and one time president of the Oklahoma mineral and gem society. He was very accomplished in lapidary and made several squash blossom necklaces even making the beads from scratch. Many of my summer vacations were spent in the western US on rock hunting journey’s. Dad always made a point in stopping in both Kingman AZ and Gallup, New Mexico for turquoise. I’m sure you’ll find many there who can supply you with what you’re looking for As far as jewelry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom