Permanent elevated blind/shooting house recommendations.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have this Muddy box blind. It’s really nice and has windows that open silently and has both gun and bow configured windows. It’s so cushy doesn’t seem like hunting but it’s really nice for 2 especially if one is a small grand child getting introduced to hunting in safety.

View attachment 408643
I’ll cancel my previous obligations with @undeg01 and join you. I’m a good listener.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is home built in the shop with 2” pipe legs, 4’X6’.
I’ve had 2 adults and two kids in it, but it’s really not big enough for that many. We had some 80 mph winds come through a couple years ago that blew off some roofing so the pic is doing some repair work. The windows were originally storm windows on a home that was about to be demolished. I turned them sideways to open that way. It’s been around for 20 years or more.
Got a leak around the door that’s been fixed but not before weakening the floor so I’ve got that to work on shortly.
I vote for an elevated blind for the OP. Deer have walked all around it without any scent getting to them because of the height.
It’s anchored with 4’ ground anchors that screw into the ground. 3/8” steel cable with turnbuckles to keep the cables taunt.

IMG_2660.jpeg

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is home built in the shop with 2” pipe legs, 4’X6’.
I’ve had 2 adults and two kids in it, but it’s really not big enough for that many. We had some 80 mph winds come through a couple years ago that blew off some roofing so the pic is doing some repair work. The windows were originally storm windows on a home that was about to be demolished. I turned them sideways to open that way. It’s been around for 20 years or more.
Got a leak around the door that’s been fixed but not before weakening the floor so I’ve got that to work on shortly.
I vote for an elevated blind for the OP. Deer have walked all around it without any scent getting to them because of the height.

View attachment 408656
Chill out Dennis! You don’t have to beg! Ok, I’ll go hunting with you! Don’t worry, I’m only 0% kidding
Confused Classic Film GIF by Warner Archive

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have built 2 permanent ones steel roofs on both.. those are noisy when acorns fall on them or sticks.

Lots of echo in a steel one.
Carpet is a must have even on walls and ceiling for quietness.
But make it so mice can't get into it and make nests behind the carpet.

You can score free carpet easy enough.
Pallets work very well for building the floor and a deck at the door you can stand on to open the door and walk inside.
The door does not need to be but 5 foot tall or so.
Just bend down and go in.

Now 4 foot wide will not be near wide enough.
If you try to move around with a bow or long gun you will dink things and that makes noise.
Windows were in all of mine that would slide open and some would tilt up to open.
You can make those easy enough or find windows for cheap or free many times.

Or maybe it is just me that can find cheap or free stuff.
Red cedar trees were cut and trimmed to make legs for my last one.
6 x8 foot inside and I was told that it is not a good hunting blind at all by my buddies uncle.
He said it was too comfy inside and you just end up going to sleep in it.

This one is strapped to a nearby oak tree and a near by cedar tree.
So not going to fall over.

I might have a window

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have this Muddy box blind. It’s really nice and has windows that open silently and has both gun and bow configured windows. It’s so cushy doesn’t seem like hunting but it’s really nice for 2 especially if one is a small grand child getting introduced to hunting in safety.

View attachment 408643
I feel you on being “too cushy”. Thats the main reason why I’ve never had one before.but like you said, they are nice to have when introducing young people to hunting. And thats what mine will be used for, atleast at the beginning. I just want a controlled and comfortable environment to brainwash my children in. I want to bring them home to mom with pre-diabetes, covered in dust and blood and them begging to go back to the farm. Or that’s how it plays out in my mind anyway. They’ll be plenty of time to really teach them how to hunt once they learn to love it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom