Best Mexican restaurant in Norman....or not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tarahumara's has gone down hill since we started going there 15-20 years ago. And the prices! Wife and I decided to revisit while we in Norman a couple months back and seemed like the average price for a meal was $22-$24. We won't be going back either.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wont set foot in Norman so I can't be of help but I can direct you to some fine MX food in OKC
I'm open to suggestions. I know you like Tacos Don Nacho - driven by alot but never stopped. Should grab a couple tacos then head to Coop Ale brewery if they still have the tasting room just South of Western Heights HS.

We like Barrio's which is off Hudson in OKC. Really fresh and not a bad price. Frida's in Paseo district is pretty good but pricey also. My wife works at St. Anthony's and one of the people there brought in a huge torta with carne asada, lettuce, salsa, avocados and it was out of this world. I'll ask her again who they got it from.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use to stop and eat lunch at Tarahumara‘s when we would go to the OU football home games. We always liked it there and the food was pretty tasty. I have not been there for a couple of years now. It’s sad to hear that it has gone downhill.

One of our best friends is the bartenders at El huevo’s and we go by there every once in a while to see her and to have lunch. We have not ever had anything bad or substandard there. I highly recommend El huevo’s.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our experience last night, the staff was the only bright spot and it was more of a dim bulb than bright spot.

For the record I wasn’t following along well. Didn’t read the earlier post throughly. I was referencing most of the places in Norman, not just Mexican.

The best Mexican food I’ve had was in a roadside place east of Linones Mexico.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use to stop and eat lunch at Tarahumara‘s when we would go to the OU football home games. We always liked it there and the food was pretty tasty. I have not been there for a couple of years now. It’s sad to hear that it has gone downhill.

One of our best friends is the bartenders at El huevo’s and we go by there every once in a while to see her and to have lunch. We have not ever had anything bad or substandard there. I highly recommend El huevo’s.
It may still be good for you but just didn't deliver for us

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Preface: My wife and I use Trip Advisor frequently when looking up things for vacation like places to stay, things to do, restaurants, etc... So far, the reviews have aligned with ours until last night. I had been reading about this place in Norman with grand reviews and an endorsement from Baker Mayfield(should've been my first clue to avoid). It's a Mexican place on Porter called Tarahumara and it was 'voted' the #1 overall restaurant in Norman on Trip Advisor. Top 10 restaurants in Norman

Here's my review and I will be adding to Yelp also. Long read so may need some coffee.

Why in the world is this the #1 rated restaurant in Norman based on Trip Advisor reviews? I have now lost faith in TA reviews! Wife and I went for dinner after all the hype and reading reviews. EXTREMELY disappointed! We were seated immediately and fairly crowded but very loud.

The food was nothing more than average and could be gotten at any Mexican place in Oklahoma. Cheese dip started to coagulate after a few minutes so be sure to eat it hot or you'll have trouble with it sticking to the chip. Salsa is your run of the mill tomato/onion/peppers that's okay but not hot at all. Ordered the habanero salsa - small one - $2.25 on our check. Wife had the relleno and had to have been the smallest poblano on the truck. Rice was short grain, dry and didn't seem fresh. The beans are just that - blended up beans with some cheese on top. There wasn't a plate for under $17 or $18 with most over $20. Negra Modelo $7 + tax! House margarita $15 + tax! 2 dinners, 1 beer, 1 rita, 1 habanero salsa and $72 without tip. It was NOWHERE near an $80+ meal for 2.

The only bright spot was our waiter. While he was very attentive and friendly, he also was a tad overbearing as you're finishing up eating. He takes away your food plate and basically starts bussing the table while my wife is still eating. Our table was ready to seat other diners before we even got out the door!

Just can't recommend this place. In all honesty, Ted's Escondido is a better value and meal. And, Ted's is NOT a place that we frequent. Used to go to Chellino's on Grand in SW OKC but as the years went by their quality fell also.

Note: The drinks on the menu didn't have any prices listed and now I know why!
we have been in Norman for 40yrs - went to Tarahumara a few times but food was not that great even though it is one of the most popular mex places in Norman -- and I don't like waiters standing around our table waiting for us to get up and leave... for my part some of the best Mex food in Norman is had at the Mont = not a mex restaurant but some of the best tacos, baretoes, taco salads for my taste buds - and at a reasonable price

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My opinion as well. Treated a buddy for lunch there a few months back and had roughly the same experience financially as the OP.

Being dudes, I prefer a place that has a bar we can sit at —. I frequent H&H a bit, so love to hit up San Marco,s around the corner on Meridian - great bar!

I have an uncomplicated palate on Tex mex food so have zero complaints on their food though. I will probably eat there again because my buddy and I run around on the side of norman quite a bit and you wouldn’t think it but it’s become increasingly a bigger pain in the butt to go over to the Westside and the I 35 Corridor where Teds/Chuys etc are.

I don’t know if it’s still there because I have not been to Lowe’s in Norman in a while but there was a good place literally in the corner of the Lowe’s parking lot call Mama Veca. They do a pretty good job with the stuff I like - mostly chimichangas or cheese enchiladas w chili sauce - as I said, uncomplicated —- But they are technically Peruvian and have a bunch of Peruvian dishes like ceviche, For those who like that sort of thing
Ate at Mama Veca in Norman about 10 years ago and was pretty good.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tarahumara is living on their past reputation, IMHO. They used to make really good food for a super low price, but they started ratcheting up the price and ratcheting down the quality, IMHO. I used to order lunch from them for my department as a reward for finishing a big project we did regularly, until one time the price went way up and the quantity of food was literally half of what we’d gotten just six months earlier.

Personally, I’d rather eat at Ted’s or at Los Dos Amigos (on Alameda just west of 24th). Of course, I haven’t eaten at Los Dos Amigos in years, so they may not be any great shakes these days, either.
Ted’s is my families favorite. I wish we could get one here in Shawnee. I’ve been wanting one for so long. The best place I’ve been to is Nino’s but unfortunately when Nino’s son took it over it went to crap. My second favorite is Polo’s in Ada. Sometimes the food can be ok but when it’s on it’s amazing. I have a lot of great memories going to the one in Seminole with my family. I wish Polo’s son didn’t close it down. Some of my family are gone so I’m glad I have those memories.

Latest posts

Top Bottom